Need advice on my Res Tank

Discussions about turtles.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

I was wondering, do you have to shut off the turtle uvb light off at night? and do you have to turn off the filter as well? I do every night but i realized taht my turtles only come out to bask in the night time right as i am about to shut off their light to go to bed and i rrealized dont they need to bask in the light in order to keep their shells good? anyone out there that can give me advice on this, thanks

I leave my filter on at all times, although I have heard of people that don\'t. You should turn off the UV and the heat lamp at night(these are two separate lights, as UV bulbs don\'t produce heat). I turn mine on in the morning and off at night, so they run for at least 12 hrs a day.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

I should turn off the heater as well at night? i thought that was the only thing that should stay on at all times because at night the temperature drops at night and i dont want them to get too cold at night.
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

I think she is referring to the basking light. You should keep the heater on all times if your room temperature is below 75.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

The rule is usually 12 hours on and 12 hours off as far as the basking light goes if i were you i would leave it on at night for 12 hours and turn it off in the day so that way your turtle gets to bask:) As far as the heater and filter go i leave mine on.
Good luck
  • Information