Feeding Frodo

Discussions about turtles.
Jenny
Level 1
Level 1

So far I\'ve only been able to get him to eat the turtle pellets. I\'ve offered him grated carrots, apples and lettuce, but it doesn\'t seem to interest him. Last night I tried him on a little piece of ground beef which he seemed to tear apart. (He really liked it!)

The ground beef was cooked in a skillet, and I blotted the grease with a paper towel. Should I be boiling the meat instead? I submersed him in a small bowl of water and dropped the ground beef in. (He\'ll only eat if he\'s under water. He\'s still a little guy!)

How often should I be feeding him the pellets? Also, will he eventually learn that he can eat out of the water? I thought that maybe because he\'s so young, he doesn\'t know any different. Also, what are your thoughts on meat? Is cooking it enough, or should I boil it to be safe? Thanks!
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

What type of turtle is Frodo? Some turtles have fixed tongues and can only eat in the water.
Don\'t feed him beef or pork. They contain too much fat. Try unseasoned chicken instead but only as a treat. Younger turtles tend eat more meat than veggies/fruits. Keep offering it to him and one day he\'ll eat it. Have you tried romaine lettuce? I\'ve tried unsuccessfully to get my turtles to eat any veggies except that. They love it. Let us know how it goes.
Jenny
Level 1
Level 1

Frodo is baby red ear slider. I\'ve only fed him beef once, as I\'ve heard that such meats contain too much fat for turtles. He seemed to digest/pass it just fine, but I will exercise caution in the future. I\'ve heard that chicken is a good treat, I\'ll have to try that. Since I purchased him from the pet shop last week, he\'s eating more and more each day. I\'ll keep trying with the fruits and veggies and take it from there!
  • Information