IM NEW!! PLEASE READ AND SUGGEST!!

Discussions about turtles.
xbux
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i am new with turtles, i just purchased 2 RES turtles about the size of a qaurter a month a go.

Both of my turtles are still in a 5\' by 3\' box. They have been under a regular light bulb for the past month. I have been feeding them turtle pellets and sometimes white tiny peices of chicken meat. I usually just feed them once a day at night because they don\'t eat it when i feed them twice a day.

I am a college student and I am finally financially stable enough right now to buy them a 2 feet long lagoon with a filter and day and night UV light for them.

What else do i need? and how else should i take care of them.

Oh yeah, the lagoon and other stuff should be arriving by next week!! i am very excited to give them a better home than just a plastic box with rocks in them!!! :-D

By the way. Since they don\'t get UV light and just regular heat from my bulb, is it possible they are sick? One of my turtle is very light green color that is yellowish. My other turtle who is dark green looks skinny and i can see the outline of her spine on top of the shell. IS THIS A PROBELM??

Another thing, i am also worried because the light green shelled turtle is very fat.. so fat he can hardly shrink his tail back in his shell.

NOTE: they are both very active - eating and releasing normally.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Im glad you can now give your little ones the best of care:) It is possible your little ones could get sick if there is no UVB light but i am not sure if that is the cause for your turtles problems. I am pretty sure that when a turtle is young and you can see the spiny outline it is ok because as they grow their shell will start to grow with their spine and eventually look normal. As for your turtle who is fat i would make sure you arent feeding him too much you are only supposed to feed him as much as you think could fit into his head not including the neck. As far as feeding you cold try giving them live brine shrimp, feeder fish such as guppies and shrimp treats. You could try romaine lettuce, carrots, and grapes but most of the time they will not eat these things because they are mainly carnivorous when young and as they mature they tend to eat plants. Oh.. even though you are going to get a uvb light you will still need a heat lamp to promote basking:D

Good luck
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xbux
Level 1
Level 1

a black light bulb for night and the regular UVA lightbulb for day. i am about to buy them a UVB light but they are kind of expensive!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Forget the black night light (he doesn\'t need it) and put the money toward a UVB light, which is critical. Don\'t know what black light you\'re thinking of getting, but some of the older types can damage their eyes.
  • Information