IM A NEW MEMBER.. HI ALL!!!

You can chat about non-pet topics here! Be courteous to others and keep it clean!
xbux
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i am new with turtles, i just purchased 2 RES turtles about the size of a qaurter a month a go.

Both of my turtles are still in a 5\' by 3\' box. They have been under a regular light bulb for the past month. I have been feeding them turtle pellets and sometimes white tiny peices of chicken meat. I usually just feed them once a day at night because they don\'t eat it when i feed them twice a day.

I am a college student and I am finally financially stable enough right now to buy them a 2 feet long lagoon with a filter and day and night UV light for them.

What else do i need? and how else should i take care of them.
xbux
Level 1
Level 1

Oh yeah, the lagoon and other stuff should be arriving by next week!! i am very excited to give them a better home than just a plastic box with rocks in them!!! :-D

By the way. Since they don\'t get UV light and just regular heat from my bulb, is it possible they are sick? One of my turtle is very light green color that is yellowish. My other turtle who is dark green looks skinny and i can see the outline of her spine on top of the shell. IS THIS A PROBELM??

Another thing, i am also worried because the light green shelled turtle is very fat.. so fat he can hardly shrink his tail back in his shell.

NOTE: they are both very active - eating and releasing normally.
miss_quoia
Level 2
Level 2

Hey,
I\'m pretty new to this site too. I\'ve had my babies since October, but one passed away last week so i only have the one now. I\'m planning on \"adopting\" another one tomorrow though.
The only other thing i can tell you is make sure they have a heater....the water needs to be about 80 degrees for them to be healthy.
oh, and theres a disease called turtle obesity, so beware of that...it can be very harmful to the turtle....i\'m tryna make sure my turtle doesn\'t get too fat.
iamyourreasontoparty
Level 1
Level 1

An EXCELLENT way to make sure your turtles don\'t get obese, is to at least once a week, make them work for their food.Feed them a live food that they have to chase in order to eat it, excellent exercise.
  • Information