sick RES-gasping

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Kivey03
Level 1
Level 1

I have a sick RES that sits one the rock all day gasping for air. He\'s been this way for about 2 months. I can\'t take him to the vet because RES\'s are illigal in my state. I have 2 and the well one has outgrown the sick one. 10 gallon tank, 80 degree temp, particially clean tank once a week and completely once a month. The only thing I\'ve noticed after reading some of the posts on your board is that I use an aquarium light for fish, but if that was the prblem wouldn\'t it effect the other one? Please advise soon. I can\'t believe that he\'s lived as long as he has. Thanks , Kelly
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

He\'s been that way for two months? Does he have any other symptoms besides the gasping (mucus in the nose or mouth, wheezing, tilting to one side in the water, for example)? All are signs of a repiratory infection. If he\'s had this for two months, he really should see a vet. www.arav.org/USMembers.htm for starters.

What state are you in that doesn\'t allow you to own RES? In some states it\'s illegal to buy them, but I don\'t know of any where you can\'t own them.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I would get a uvb light for your turtle as soon as possible and a heat lamp to keep him warm. You may have to get a heater to keep the water temperature rather warm because this is needed for your turtle to get better. Also make sure to seperate the two of them as soon as possible because it is highly contagious. You can also buy a product called Dr. turtle which i am not sure but others have said it worked for them. I have heard you can give them polvysol baby vitamins to help them fight off their cold.
Good luck:eyes
Kivey03
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for all the advice. My state is SC and the law is that you can only have RES\'s for educational purposes only. You can own them if the are a certain size but I know mine are not that size. I need to call the vet tomorrow just to ask what the law is specifically about owning them and getting them treatment. He really doesn\'t have any other symtoms. He just sits all day and gasps. He eats a little. I\'ve tried the Dr. turtle and it didn\'t work. I will diffinetely call the vet tomorrow and get a heat lamp. I already have a water heater which stays on about 80. I did keep it at 75 and I got some advice that maybe the water needed to be warmer. Thanks again. I\'ll update you all tomorrow.
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

Please let us know how your turtle is doing.
Kivey03
Level 1
Level 1

I\'ve got a new UVA bulb but I couldn\'t find a UVB light in any of the pet stores in my area so I ordered one on-line. He seems to already be doing better with the UVA light warming the rock I\'ve noticed he\'s been moving alot more and eating more too. That just doesn\'t explain why the other RES hasn\'t been effected. Plus I called a bunch of vets in my area and couldn\'t find any that treated RES\'s! I\'m going to take a picture of them tomorrow and post it so everybody can see the difference in color and size. (they used to be the same size) Their names are Lenny and Squigy. Squigys the small (sick) one. Thanks for all your advice. Kelly
  • Information