Is two better than one?

Discussions about turtles.
hurt006
Level 2
Level 2

Right now I have one RES, It\'s not in a large living area but it\'s temporary until I go home for the summer (i\'m in College). He\'s about 2 months and he seems lonley. I\'m wondering should I get another one to keep him occupied or is it best to let him keep his own territory?
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

If you can afford a very large ttank then I would say go for it. There is said to be a rule for keeping a turtle happy in a tank and it is ten gallons for every one inch of shell. Red ear sliders grow up to be about 12 inches so if you get two you\'ll have to get a 240 gallon tank. I am thinking about getting another turtle as well but I have to wait a few years. I do think that it is up to you though so if you can afford it, and have the space for it then I say have fun and good luck. Just make sure that the new tank mate is about the same size.
speedy'smom
Level 2
Level 2

I\'ve read before that turtles are not really social and therefore do not need another turtle to be happy. If you want one get one it won\'t hurt, but your turtle can still be happy on its own.
hurt006
Level 2
Level 2

thanks! I really want to get one but I don\'t have the size or $. I\'ll think about it longer b4 I make the purchage or not.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Thats a great idea. It is the responsible thing to do and is in the best interest of the turtle and yourself:D
Good luck
  • Information