need some info

Discussions about turtles.
murchysgrl76

Hey guys... i just got a lil baby turtle... and its so young they aren\'t even allowed to be sold in a pet store my friend got it in LA from some lady... anyways... i have these lil turtle pellet things but i am not sure if it is even eating them... and i don\'t really know what else i could feed it... i just need some help figureing out what i have to do with it to keep it healthy... please help! thanx
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

Hi I know the feeling of not knowing what to do with a new baby turtle, I got my first one last summer:)She is a red ear slider, do you know what kind you have? There are many things that you will need for your little one. A basking platform is very important, along with this you will need a heat lamp and a uvb light. The heat lamp produces heat:) and the uvb light helps with the formation of the shell. I know that red ear sliders and painted turtles love feeder guppies as well as the pellets. Another thing you can feed your little one is live or dried out brine shrimp(given as a treat). You are also going to need a fully submersible turtle filter, I have a fluval 2 plus, but you can look around and decide which you like the best. A fully submersible heater is also reccomended,I don\'t have one as of yet but I hear they are great. I would stay away from gravel, if you wish to put stones in the tank you might want to try smooth river stones. When the turtles mature they tend to love veggies more then fish. When they are almost a year old try given it romaine lettuce carrots, grapes and bananas. You can also buy aqautic plants such as amazon swords, water hyacinths and anachris. To determin if your litle one is eating you could try putting it in a small container to see it it eats. I hope that he/she eats soon. Good luck and keep us posted.
murchysgrl76

Thanx for replying... he/she is still not eating... :( its a red ear slider as well... right now its just in a lil tank thing...me and my bf are going to be buying a bigger one and some accesorries and stuff when he gets payed on the 11th... so i have a while to wait... it just makes me worried about he/she not eating still... i have been changing the water everyday and making sure the water is somewhat warm... i really need to figure out how to get it to eat... if you have any ideas it would be really helpful...
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

Your welcome. :) It problably is still a little nervous. When I first got my baby turtle she wouldn\'t eat either. I had her for about a little over a week before she eat anything for me. My friend and I gave her some live brine shrimp (you could buy the dried brine shrimp though) and this seemed to get her interested in food. You could try giving he/she live feeder guppies, young red ear sliders mainly eat live things such as the feeder guppies. I would keep offering your little one food eventually he/she should eat. Is the belly soft, or indented a little? If so then its yoke sac was more then likely recently obsorbed so that could be why it isn\'t eating, this was the case with mine. I thought she was sick, but I found out that she was just very young. Hope that your little one eats soon, just give it a little time to adjust and it should be fine though. :) keep me posted.
murchysgrl76

Yay!!! He/she is finally eating... we got some lil feeder guppies... there was 3 in there they are all gone... and i got these lil soft pellets that are supposed to stimulate the appitite... and it seems to be working... By next wed we should be able to get the tank that we wanted... anyways... if u can think of any vegtables that ur turtle likes let me know so i can give it a try with my lil one... Oh i have he/she\'s lil bro/sis... the people we got ours from bought 2 and i just took theirs home with me tonite... so some more excitement! :)
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I am so happy to hear that your turtle is eating :) My turtle lily loves carrots I cut the small carrots ( known as baby carrots) straight across so she can nibble on them, I give them to he every couple of days. She also likes romaine lettece the I heard that ice burg lettuce doesn\'t have much nutritional value so I don\'t give that to her. My turtle likes seedless grapes as well. You can give them tomatos, bannans,squash, pumpkin,apples and strawberries ( I haven\'t tried these yet but I have heard that many turtles like them) good luck and have fun.
eL ChiNo LoCo
Level 1
Level 1

Hmm, I had my turtles for over a week, but they still seem a little nervous, but not as much as before. Because before they used to run away whenever I got near them. But now they don\'t run, but they still don\'t eat when Im there. I guess they\'re slowly starting to have more trust in me.
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

Soon they will learn that you are their food source it is so cute because they start to beg for food like puppies. :)
  • Information