Is my setup okay?

Discussions about turtles.
elektronisch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I was wondering if my setup is sufficiant, for two RES turtles, for now. I have a 5 gallon tank with a water heater that keeps the temperature around 80F. I do not have any sort of filtering system yet. I have a floatable thing that one of the RESs enjoys sleeping on, the other has yet to get up. I feel them around 12 turtle sticks a day. I also have a fake, but real looking, plant that the same RED enjoys sleeping on. The other guy, he just wonders about in the tank and rests underwater. I also have a light ontop (not a heat lamp) that does not do too much heating, but some.

Thanks in advance.
elektronisch
Level 1
Level 1

Also, I\'m going away for a week and was wondering what should I leave in the tank. I just got them (RES) so I think they are to little to eat feeder fish.
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I would really reccomend getting a larger tank as soon as possible becasue they can get territoral and they grow pretty fast. You are going to need a heat lamp and a uvb lamp for your little ones the love to bask, the uvb light helps with the formation of the turtles shell. Try small feeder guppies, when my res was a baby she loved them. I wold really try to find someone who could feed them though, if you can\'t, leave the guppis in the tank and maybe some live brine shrimp. Have a nice trip wherever you are going and good luck with you little ones.:)
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I dont think your setup is adequate for two baby turtles they need room to swim and grow and like lilypad said they can get territorial. I would take a look at the setup/supplies section on this site it is amongst the green buttons above. They should inform you on what a suitable setup should be.
Good luck:D
elektronisch
Level 1
Level 1

Jay
Last edited by elektronisch on Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I think that you might want to try to get a rubbermaid container for them to live in for the next three months because the five gallon tank is too small for two turtles, if ya just had the one then I would say it is fine but you have two so it might get uncomfortable for them. The 5 gallon wont provide them both with enough living, or swimming space. How far of a drive is it from where you are now? If it is close like a few minutes to lets say 3 hours then all ya really need to do is put them in a small animal travel container that has wet paper towels on the bottom, you might want to bring a bottle of water as well so you can keep them wet. If the trip is longer than that then You are going to have to make sure you do the paper towel thing, and you are going to have to stop sometime during your trip to feed them and allow them to swim so they can absorb water(I reccomend chaning the towels when you stop:) they can get pretty messy ) They should be fine if you do those things. Good luck and have a safe trip home.
elektronisch
Level 1
Level 1

The drive is 19 hours. From FL to NJ. Any recommandations? I don\'t know of the towel trick.

thanks,
jay
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

My friend took her turtle from Philadelphia to Missori, I think it is an 18 hour drive. She put wet paper towels on the bottom of the little plastic animal travel container, and kept it damp with bottles of water. Everytime they stopped to eat or use the rest room she would take out the paper towels and fill the container with water so that her turtle could eat, take in water and just swim around. After that she put fresh wet towels back on the bottom of the tank. It is important to keep the turltes hydrated. You could also use wet moss to put on the bottom of the tank it is up to you. The towels not only keep your turtle wet but they also help them from sliding around and getting hurt. Good luck
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

Don\'t forget to keep them warm. Pack in a hot water bottle or two. Others have also tried those microwavable heating pads. I personally like the hand warmers that heat up when exposed to air. They last about 7 hours but get really hot so be sure to put enough layers between that and the turtles to prevent burning.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Hi im the friend lilypad is talking about:) If you have anymore questions on how i traveled with my turtle feel free to ask me. I also took guppies with me as well to feed him. However i did not feed him the guppies at the rest stops it would be too much work. At the rest stops i took out his wet paper towels and rinsed and filled the tank with spring water then i fed him pellets and let him swim around a little while we stretched. ya know a turtle has to stretch too lol:D Afterwards i put fresh, wet paper towels in his tank and we were ready to go. I tryed to do this at all of the rest stops but that was because the ride was an 18 hour drive on the road and 2 days overall.It was hard work but it was well worth it.Also make sure if you have air conditioner in the car you keep a bath towel with you this is another thing i did to prevent my little guy from catching a draft and getting sick. I also did this to keep him from getting to hot when the sun was shining directly into the car and onto us.
Good luck
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I think that would be a good idea in the winter because its cold but during the summer it gets warm even in the air conditioner its not that cold. Plus since hes gonna be out of water for a while you dont want to dry out his skin or dehydrate him by adding a heat pack.
  • Information