fruits

You can chat about non-pet topics here! Be courteous to others and keep it clean!
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

Does anyone know what types of fruits Red ear sliders can eat? My turtle is almost a year old and i am hoping to get her to eat a lot of fruits and veggies and I was wondering about the fruits, I pretty much know what types of veggies I am going to feed her. She currently is eating romaine lettuce,carrots and grapes but I want to give her more than just those. Any advice would be great. Thanx :)
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Here is a list of food that can be incorporated into your red ear sliders
diet:

http://www.resoasis.com/diet.htm

Good luck8)
Peanut1108
Level 1
Level 1

do you think it is ok to give them chicken?
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I think that is really up to you, I feed my turtle guppies you could do some research on the subject if you are worried but I don\'t think it is bad if it is given as a treat and not the main part of the diet, that is what Idid with my fish. Good luck :)
kingrattus
Level 1
Level 1

If u want to feed ur turtle chicken, then its best if u feed him/her in a different tank (a pail is just fine too). & after the feeding make sure u give him/her a bath or he/she can make u very ill (esp. children under the age of 11 & the elderly).

I did loads of research on feeding raw meats to turtles, only because I have a meat eating turtle hehehe

But most turtle owners recomend to feed raw hamburger (in a pail or diff tank) over chicken, only because its so harmful to us.

& if my memory is correct, insects & fish r much better for them, then any other kind of meat.

Oh & never feed ur turtle fishing worms from a bait store. They feed the worms fertalizers (hope I spelt that right) & thats BAD for turtles & pet fishies. So feed wild worms insted :)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Turtles should never be fed raw meat for the same reason people shouldn`t eat it. Hamburger contains too much fat and isn`t good for them. Plain boiled white chicken meat is fine as an occasional treat (foods that are high in protein like chicken, shrimp, krill, etc. should not be given too frequently because they promote too fast a growth which taxes the kidneys and could cause shell problems).

Worms, crickets and feeder fish (guppies and minnows are better than goldfish) are OK but they should NOT be from the wild as they are more apt to contain parasites than commercially grown ones (buy from a pet store). Feeding live food is not absolutely necessary, however.

Since your turtle is almost a year old, giving her more vegetable matter/aquatic plants along with her pellets is good (RES become more omnivorous as they age and need more plant matter). For some foods that are good to give and not good to give, you could also check http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/turtlefood.html

Feeding in a separate container is fine, but if you keep the tank water clean, you shouldn`t have to give your turtle a \"bath.\" Keeping your turtle healthy and washing your hands well after handling your turtle or her things is what would eliminate the possibility of your getting sick.
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

I gave mine pineapple and apples before and he loves them
he also loves carrots and corn
i also tried grapes
kingrattus
Level 1
Level 1

For my turtle, he needs to eat raw meats & live /whole foods (Mice, Rats).

I\'ve never heard of worms in pet stores. I just know that the ones in bait shops are bad, from my fish guy (I have big pet fish & he give me info on them when they get ill or wont eat, or r trying to kill eachother or me :/ ).

In my last post I should have stated I\'ve only dealt with Meat eating turtles, & feeding habbits r different then plant eaters.
  • Information