Does Size Matter?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

I have had my two RES for about 5 months now, and when I purchased them, they were about the size of a silver dollar. They have both been together in the same, 10 gallon tank at all times, and they eat the same food (combo of calcium covered pellets, dried shrimp, and occasional fruit or seafood goodies).

One of my turtles has grown a LOT, while the other one hardly has at all. The one is about three inches from head to tail, while the other is still only slightly bigger than when I got her.

Is this common that she is just growing slower than the other? A few weeks after I got her, I noticed that her shell was a little soft, which is why I started powdering their food with calcium. I recently picked her up, and her shell is solid as a rock.

I just want to know that the turtles are healthy, and that its possible that they grow at different rates. Also, I know that gender affects size, and I honestly don\'t know what their genders are. I just call them both girls :)

Any advice you can offer would be very helpful.

Thank you,
Jess
deesygirl

I have noticed a growth differance between the genders. My females grow alot faster than the males. That could be one reason. Another thought, is the bigger one more aggressive at meal times? (I wonder if the larger one is taking the lion\'s share of the food.) You should also try introducing more veggies. Try some carrot peels or Romaine lettuce.
They will be needing a bigger tank soon. It sounds as though they have outgrown the 10 gal. Some people find it easier to go with a large rubbermaid tub to upgrade sizes. It is an eaasier way on the pocket book.
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

turtles will grow at different rates. Since your turtle\'s shell is no longer soft and assuming it looks healthy we can nix the idea of vitamin deficiency. Just keep measuring your little one every month and hope for the best!
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for your responses. I watch them carefully when they eat, and I know that the smaller turtle is definately getting enough food, but the large one eats faster, so its possible that she is eating more. I\'ll keep an eye on them.
deesygirl

I just saw your responce on another post. It sounds as though it could just be algae. Algae can be red, orange, green, brown or black. I would not worry about it for now.
  • Information