PLEASE HELP...Is my RES dying?!?!?!?!?!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
NewbieTrtleMom

Ive had two RES for the last 6 months or so and i finally got them thier own 10 gallon tank about a month ago...since then i have had one really active turtle and one turtle who could care less about anything but food and the heater..But lately(since friday) he has not eaten anything (pellets or brine shrimp) and he doesnt seem to want to leave the heater, if he does its only to go to the filter and sit on that :( ..I dont know what is wrong with him and i am scared that maybe he is sick, the only problem is that i live in NJ and they arent exactly legal. But anyway he doesnt have a soft shell or anything like that and he is not raspy. :) that seems to be good for right now Oh, and also, almost immediately after i change their water there is like white stuff that floats in the tank..now its starting to float towards and stick to this one inactive turtle..I clean it off of him but then it seems to just float right on him again. PLEASE HELP!!! these two are my babies and my parents only grandchildren
deesygirl

It could just be a change in their enviroment. Just like when you first bring them home it takes time for them to adjust. Also at this time of the year they naturally go into hibernation. I don\'t hibernate mine so I can\'t really help you much there. But I do know mine slow down and also spend less time basking right now.

As for the white stuff floating in your tank, look at it carefully. Turtles shed and it may just be pieces of skin floating in there. If it looks like hairs then you could have white worms. I had them once, scared the heck out of me. I had my son\'s biology teacher look at them and give me the verdict. However they are harmeless and live in your water supply. They really like to bury down in gravel, so if you keep a substrate in your tank you will want to stir it up occasionaly so the worms will get sucked into your filter. Another good way to get rid of them, as well as activate your turtle is to get some feeder fish. I would recommend some guppies or rosy reds. The fish will love to eat the worms and the turtles will chase and eat the fish. Win, win situation. :)
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

In response to this, I looked at one of my little RES today, and noticed that she had two little straight black things sticking up off her shell...they looked like little black eyelashes...I picked her up out of the tank and rubbed them off...they came apart, so I assumed it was just some sort of gross buildup in the tank, since my filter recently burned out. Is it possible that these are some sort of parasite?

There have never been any sort of fish or anything in the tank, so I don\'t know where a parasite could come from, unless she had it to begin with. I\'ve had my turtles for about 5 months, so I\'d assume that something would have shown up by now. Any advice you can give would be great :)

Jess
NewbieTrtleMom

Thanks a lot for ur help..they arent thin and flat so i dont think they are worms but they might be because of shedding...i woke up this morning and my parents told me that he was swimming around some and he even ate some brine shrimp...YAY..Thanks for all your help i know where to go when i have a question :)
  • Information