how do you give a turtle a shot

Discussions about turtles.
ltbmom

Help! I know my red eared slider has a respiratory infection but there is no vet available in my area to take him to. I am an RN and could get the antibiotics but how do you give a turtle a shot?
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I went with my friend to the vet when her turtle had a respiratory infection and he just injected the needle into the turtles upper part of her right back leg.
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I am so sorry to hear that. I had to take mine to the vet too. She had an eye infection that almost led to a respitory infection, but she was treated for both. You might want to get someone to hold the turtle while you give it its shot. The vet gently streched out one of her back legs as far as it could go and like tinkerbell said he injected her at the top of the leg it looked like her muscle area. She had three shots, one every other day. Good luck with your little one. Let us know how he/she is doing :)
ltbmom

Thank you so much to all of you that posted replies to my question. I was able to get the antibiotics and inject them. And much to our delight \"redneck\" the turtle is much improved. She is still not eating but we are hopeful. THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU!!!!
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I am glad to hear that your turtle is doing better. :) That sometimes happens after they are given the shot, mine did the same thing he/she should be eating in a day or two.
  • Information