One Turtle Won\'t Leave the Heater!! Please Help!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
NewbieTrtleMom

I have two RES in a 10 gal tank they are about the size of a half dollar...One of them is always swimming and exploring their habitat and for the last few days or so, the other one has been sitting on the heater..I know its warm enough bc i have a heater and a thermometer and they are in the 80\'s. he is unresponsive to food or touch. He only really moves when I pick him up..Then he squirms..hehe..but my parents and i are really worried about him..He doesnt want to eat or anything..My father says maybe he/she is pregnant..we dont know what sex they are ..thats another question...how do you know their sex? But anyway, why wont he leave the heater? He has always been the less active one but he would bask in other places or at least swim around...These turtles are my parents only \"grandchildren\" and they are very concerened so any help would be greatly appreciated
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

A change in activity could mean sickness. Are his eyes swollen? Is his shell soft to the touch? Is he breathing with his mouth open? If you don\'t have one already you will need a UVB lamp.

Half dollar size normally means that they are hatchlings. They still have some years to go before they can get pregnant. You can\'t tell the gender until they get older. The males have longer claws, tails and the underbelly has a concave feeling to it.
The females are opposit with shorter claws,stubbier tails and a convex plastron.

If the non active turtle seems to be getting worse or has no change in activity then I would suggest bringing him to a herp vet for a look over.
xbux
Level 1
Level 1

I\'m not sure if i\'m right, but i bought my 2 baby turtles from a old lady who has been breeding turtles for a long time. she told me male turtles have more spots at the belly than the female. male about 10 and female about 14.
  • Information