I don\'t know what to do... Please respond... please...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
lost_in_prisms
Level 1
Level 1

today, well... just about 3 hours ago... I tried to fed my RES...

he hadn\'t been eating in a few days so I got worried...

he had a film over his eyes, or like they were swollen... and I could hear and feel him gurgling when I picked him up... he was gasping for air, and his nose was runny...

I brushes him off and put him in a little rubbermaid container, with a washcloth and small dish of water that he could climb into if he wanted to... I put him by the heater, and even brought a light out for him...

I found out shortly after that he probably has had a respritory infection for about a week now...

well I left him to rest and went in my room, and just recently I came out to check on him... I sort of moved the cloth to see if he would wake up... or move... but he just lay there... I gently poked at his little feel and nose... to see if maybe he would move... and he didn\'t...

I tried to put him in a bowl of warm water... and no eaction... he just floated there... lifeless...

and I don\'t know if he is dead or not... I have done my crying and maybe it is denial... bt is there any way this could be some sort of a coma... or a deep sleep..?

if anyone knows please reply ASAP...
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I\'ve read that a turtle\'s heart can beat long after he appears to have expired. That said, given the condition you\'ve described and the fact that he had a respiratory illness, if you gently tug on his legs and and receive no response, I\'m afraid you have lost him. (His eyes will also film over and he will stiffen.)

If you recently got him, it is possible that he was ill to begin with. Turtles can go a long time without displaying symptoms, but when they do, time is of the essence in getting them appropriate medical care. I don\'t know if you are an experienced turtle keeper or what kind of set-up you had for him, but it would be good to read up on how to properly care for them before you even think of getting another one (if you do).

I\'m sorry for your loss.
lost_in_prisms
Level 1
Level 1

yea... he was dead I buried him this morning...

well I had him for about 8 months after getting him in chinatown last year... I suspect he may have not been in the best shape when I got him... I bought him out of a bucket in a small shop...

he was only an inch long (I know.. not legal...) and I had him in a 5 gallon tank, with a turtle tank filter, and an upside down bowl with a mostly flat rock on the top of it, and he had a light, and a heat lamp... I occasionally fed him some tuna, and on two occasions had some small feeder guppies in with him that he didn\'t eat...

I feel bad that I didn\'t pick up on it earlier on... but he didn\'t really show more than being lazy, and not eating for a day...

I am probably not getting another one... both because my parents (i\'m 16) won\'t let me get another one, and I don\'t have the space for a juvinile one... since I have promised myself that if I got one it\'d be a juvinile, maybe it\'d be more stable than the baby I had...~cris~
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I am sorry to hear about your turtle:~(
critterlover63
Level 2
Level 2

I am so sorry you lost your little turtle friend. However he or she was very lucky to have someone like you care so much about him even if it was just for a very short time. Just like children some little critters are born a bit weaker and much more prone to illnesses....we just are not meant to understand why.
  • Information