TRAVELING WITH TURTLE

Discussions about turtles.
angel204

I\'M GOING ON A TRIP WITH MY RES SOON TO WEST VIRGINIA. I WAS WONDERING HOW SHOULD I TAKE HER BECAUSE IT TAKES 7-8 HOURS TO GET THERE AND IT\'S GOING TO BE HOT,WARM BECAUSE IT\'S GOING TO BE IN THE SUMMER AND I DON\'T WANT HER TO DEHIDRATE SO HOW SHOULD WE TRAVEL WITH HER?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

http://www.turtlecare.net/fly.htm (contains info on traveling with turtles in different modes of transportation).
Last edited by mariza on Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

My friends traveled with their turtle to Missori, and we live in PA. She took her turtle out of of the water and put him in a plastic animal cage lined with wet paper towels. She said that she also brought bottles of water to wet the towels when they dried. She fed him when they stopped at rest stops and allowed him to swim a little. Keeping her hydrated is very important. I would say to submerse her in water every 2 hours or so. If that time schedule isn\'t possible make sure she is damp, but she does need to be in water at some point along your trip. If you leave the car try to leave the window down a little you don\'t want to bake her. Good luck and have fun. :)
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Hi im the friend lilypad is talking about:) If you have anymore questions on how i traveled with my turtle feel free to ask me. I also took guppies with me as well to feed him. However i did not feed him the guppies at the rest stops it would be too much work. At the rest stops i took out his wet paper towels and rinsed and filled the tank with spring water then i fed him pellets and let him swim around a little while we stretched. ya know a turtle has to stretch too lol:D Afterwards i put fresh, wet paper towels in his tank and we were ready to go. I tryed to do this at all of the rest stops but that was because the ride was an 18 hour drive on the road and 2 days overall.
Good luck
angel204

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP TINKERBELL AND LILLYPAD I\'LL TRY IT WHEN I GO TO WEST VIRGINIA THIS SUMMER.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Your very welcome:D Im just glad i could help someone.
  • Information