turtle is dying, don\'t know what to do...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
letomoon

Hello, I purchased a young RES about a month ago. He seemed nice and lively in the little dish I brought him home in. I have a 10-gallon tank, and I have a filter, a heater, and a ledge for the turtle to sit on with a light. Well, the lady at the petstore said I didn\'t need to dechlorinate the water the first time. So I filled up the tank and put him in there. He swam around a little, but then quickly got up on the ledge and stayed there, just moving around every once in a while. I didn\'t have the heater at this point, so I thought that was the problem and bought one. But he still wouldn\'t swim around very long, even though I put him in the water occasionally. He doesn\'t ever seem to eat, I was putting the food in the water, but since he never goes in there, I started putting it on the ledge right in front of him. I came home today and he was just floating in the water! It didn\'t look like he could move, so I picked him up gently and I was shocked because he felt so much softer than before. He moves less and less as time goes on, and I called the pet store and they said the turtle just needed to get used to his environment. But I think he\'s really sick, please help, don\'t know what to do.
jumpinjupiter09
Level 1
Level 1

Turtles need a UVB light.
Read here for more information:
http://www.allturtles.com/care_sheets/w ... ousing.php
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I am pretty sure your turtle has soft shell disease you are going to need to buy a uvb light to help him get better. I would get him vitamins and feed him well to improve his chances of survival. Keep the water warmer than usually by about 5 degrees. Also if he does not seem to improve take him to see a vet ASAP because it can cause death:eyes
Good luck
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

If his shell is very soft and he\'s not active at all, his sickness might be beyond your care. I would suggest bringing him to a herp vet immediately. He\'ll most likely need injections to start off as well as that UVB bulb.
letomoon

Thank you guys! I will take him to the vet ASAP.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

I am curious to know, if i ever have to take my res to a vet, how much is the cost for the visit? anyone have an idea?

letomoon, i am sorry to hear that your res is sick, i do hope he gets better, you should keep us updated. Good Luck
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Vets\' fees vary, so it\'s best to ask that question to whoever you call if you should ever need to take your turtle to one.
angel204

What is the temperture of your water it may be too warm.
  • Information