is my turtle yelling at me?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
iluvmyPITA
Level 1
Level 1

ha, i know that sounds funny but i was looking back a few pages and someone\'s turtle did what mine did! i have a year old res and he went thru a period when he stuck his head up in the air and would open his mouth as wide as he could and make a funny sound, like an airy shout (not human at all, but i don\'t know how else to describe it). he\'s also bowed out his throat before. he\'s acts healthy and this happened awhile ago and i haven\'t seen him do it recently, but he definately seemed to be directing it towards me and i saw the other post and decided to ask you guys. let me know what you think!
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I think he could just be releasing air from his lungs or maybe you did something that either scared him or mad him mad so he hissed at you. I think when he bowed out his throat that was just because he had air in their to keep him afloat:) LOL or for all us humans know he could be telling you something we just dont understand in turtle language (the world may never know):D
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

hee hee
sorry but that\'s kinda funny.

I\'ve got nothing to add except to say that I\'ve never seen my turtles open their mouths wide unless they were yawning or feeding.

Oh and if he\'s doing that often and basking more often than usual it could mean that he\'s having problems breathing.. maybe a respiratory infection. This is probably not the case but keep an eye out.
  • Information