Ravenous and shell peeling?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Shelly Turtle

I have had my Pseudemys Floridana Hoyi ( I dont know if the common name is Florida cooter or Missouri cooter) turtle, Shelly (Hehehe) for 5 years since I found her as a quarter sized baby on a construction site my mom was working on. We recently went on vacation for 2 weeks and a freind turtle-sitted her for us... now that we are home Shelly is eating like crazy ( I know the lady fed her because 1/2 (yes 1/2!) my tin of of pellets is gone. Shelly doesen\'t seem to fat or too skinny from what I have read, but when she is hungry she swims into the glass, clawing at it with her front feet and splashing water everywhere with her hind ( which is really kinda funny). I am feeding her 3 times what I did before the vacation and she demands to be fed twice a day ( which I\'m really not comfortable with since I\'ve read they should be fed every other day or once a day) and she still gobbles up her pellets in about 30 seconds, then demands more with the previously mentioned splashing. She does this every time I walk past! Shelly is healthy and active but never did this kind of thing 2 weeks ago... I am also feeding her lettuce and grasshopers.
Is she just having a growth spurt? Suffering from bad training? (though the only thing shes ever learned to do is see me coming and jump off her rock to beg for food LOL) Should I cave in to her greed, or just be more strict with her?
Also, a very thin layer of her shell has started to peel. I can see the shell underneath and it looks healthy and colorful, no fungus or spots ect.
Is this normal? The two things combined make me think it is a gowth spurt... especially since the peeling layer of shell scales/sections are smaller than what is underneath. Her skin and plastron are normal, as are her basking habits ;-)
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Becky
speedy'smom
Level 2
Level 2

Seems to me that your turtle just seems to have learned that begging works! it realized that when a person walks by and it splashes it gets fed. SMART!

My turtle splashes frantically when it is about to get fed too, but the cue for my turtle to start this is when the little lid on the screen on my tank is opened. probably because when I walk by I don\'t always feed so the turtle knows that theres no point getting excited, but when I opened the lid 90% of the time that means DINNER!

You\'ll just have to resume your normal feeding routine and ignore the extra begging. (it might get worse before it gets better!)

I think maybe the peeling is normal shedding of the scutes???
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

scutes will shed as the turtle grows. More food = faster growth and can lead to obesity. Try to slowly work down to what you normally fed her before the vacation. It\'s ok to feed babies twice a day as long as you are not overfeeding.
  • Information