Scared Turtle

Discussions about turtles.
shelbysmom
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am new to the site and so far I love it. It has been so informative, I have learned a lot of stuff. I have a question that I would like to ask. We have had our turtle for over a month now and he/she is still terrified of us. He is thriving and healthy (which I am happy about) and I enjoy watching him so much, but when he sees me he bolts and won\'t come out of the weeds. He basks, swims, eats good and all those things. I don\'t feel that I have done anything to scare him; excessive handling or that sort of thing. I guess my question is how long does it usually take for a turtle to acclimatize to their new home? What do I need to do to make it easier for him? I don\'t want to scare him anymore than he already is. If anyone have any ideas that you might have done, I would greatly appreciate them. Thanks for your input.

Cheryl
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

Don\'t worry, it\'ll take awhile for them to even keep their heads above water when you are close. I\'ve had my 5 RES for 6 months now and they still run when they see me. I notice that when I sit in front of their tank for a long time, they\'ll eventually come out of hiding and even pop their heads out of the water, sometimes even bask.
They scare very easily.. it\'s just their nature.

Things to try:
When you walk by the tank, walk slowly so he doesn\'t panic.
Sit near the tank where your turtle can see you and feel your presence/recognize your face.
speedy'smom
Level 2
Level 2

We\'ve had our turtle for 6 months and I think for at least the first month he went flying off the rocks as soon as anyone moved nearby. And at first he was also very cautious in his new home about even climbing out to bask! Now though I can walk by and he doesn\'t seem to care. The only time I see him do his crazy frantic jump in the water thing now is when someone comes in the front door sometimes (the door is in sight of the tank). I think the turtle will get used to the level of activity in its surroundings once it realizes these things are not a threat. I read somewhere that you should put your tank in a quiet area out of the main activity of the house, but I leave mine in the living room because then the turtle is used to our normal activity and we get to enjoy watching him because this is where we spend time and we can\'t forget to clean the tank because it stares us in the face.
shelbysmom
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your comments. We have our turtle set up right next to our couch. I love to watch him and today he came up to bask while I was watching a movie. I looked over and there he was. As soon as I turned to him he looked like he was going to hop back in the water, but he just stared at me and I at him. :). Lets just hope that this is a start. He basks a couple of times a day, but usually when I am cooking or doing my dishes. My husband just looked at me like I was crazy when I got so excited. We both love animals and so far the turtle has had the most expensive in set up cost, but we have enjoyed watching him the most. I like so many others thought that a turtle would be easy to care for, but when my son got his from his friend for his birthday in a \"death bowl\" we found out that this is not the case. I got on the internet to see what he needed and my friend felt so bad when we had to spend over $100 on the present that she gave my son. We have him a nice little set up and I am looking forward to watchin him grow maybe even getting another one. Thanks again for your comments and advice.
Last edited by shelbysmom on Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information