20 gallon home for my res jack

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
keithx
Level 1
Level 1

by baby res isn\'t much of a baby anymore... he is about 5\" long and only 7 months old... i have him in a 10 gallon tank... and i have been trying to migrate him into a 20 gallon i came across...

i am going to try to maximize his swimming area by not filling in the tank under his \"basking beach\" using plexiglass or the like with some rock on it...

I have a decent sized submersible heater that should keep the water at a nice 76-78 degrees, and the hood i have with heat bulbs should keep the beach warm... i have uvb lights etc...

really the only thing i need to know is what filter to use...

i am thinking a power filter rated for 30 gallons should keep the water clean...
since if i dont fill the tank all the way it will be like 17 gallons of water... and i dont want to have to change that every week...
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

I have a much smaller turtle (about 3.5-4in full grown map) in a 20 gallon tank filled about halfway. I am using a filter rated for a 75 gallon tank. I used to have a 30 gallon filter and I had to change the water every week. With the one I have now, I change the water once every month and a half. (I have a filstar xp2 canister filter, I used to have an underwater/in tank filter but I don\'t remember what it was called)

Also maximizing the swimming area is key. I have a floating island that my turtle is on all the time! No assembly necessary, it was about $11.
  • Information