YELLOW SHELL!!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
iluvmyPITA
Level 1
Level 1

hey guys,
my turtle is happy, swims, eats, etc. his skin is beautiful and sheds regularly, his nails and eyes - they all lood good - it\'s his SHELL that doesn\'t. it\'s YELLOW :( and it has been for some time now. i took him to the vet and have done with the vet said and his shell has gotten harder, but it lost the little bit of green it had and is now YELLOW. what do i do? it\'s been six months and he\'s still happy and has a good attitude, but he\'s all yellow and i know htat can\'t be good. he has a great basking area and i catch him basking several times a wk (when i come home from work) and i can tell his all dried out :) so i think he basks enuff. i feed him pellets and he loves them. he won\'t eat many veggies, but loves grapes and salmon (i feed him baked, but can i feed him canned????)
so he\'s happy and seems healthy all but his shell. it\'s been 6 months since the vet, his shell is harder, but now he\'s all yellow - WHAT DO I DO???
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

what kind of turtle do you have? It is hard to say what the problem is since I don\'t know what type you have. Maybe you could post a picture as well as what kind you have.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I am not sure of how to help you beings i never encountered this problem before. What did the doctor say your turtle had??? What kind of turtle is he? Maybe i can help you figure out what to do. I love to help people solve problems they have when it comes to animals so i wouldnt mind trying to figure it out with you:)
iluvmyPITA
Level 1
Level 1

a year old res
do help if you can!
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

what did your vet tell you? Is the shell very yellow or a carmel color? I have seen some res\' that have carmel colored shells. Is there anyway you can send or post a picture? It could be a fungus or something.
iluvmyPITA
Level 1
Level 1

ok, so amber IS a better description, but when i took him to the vet and he peeled back his scutes he said he\'d be green (it\'s a dark brownish green) but alas, that hasn\'t happened. it was as green as can be when he was a baby, and i know they don\'t stay that vivid of a green, but i\'m just a tad worried cause i\'ve never seen any pictures of RESes that are the colour PITA is. i\'ll try to post a picture soon.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

If after you send the posts and nobody can help you figure out what is wrong i would definitely take pita to the vet:)
Good luck
iluvmyPITA
Level 1
Level 1

ha! so the turtle on the right from the first link (elmwood park zoo site) is what colour he is!!! so he\'s ok? he\'s not supposed to be green? wow. does he have a different name b\'c of this colour etc? i likely don\'t have to worry?
wow, that\'s so neat! also, what do you think of canned salmon for them to eat instead of fresh baked salmon?
thank you lilypad!!
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I would be careful because if your vet said it should be green then i would go with what he said after all he is the animal doctor. As far as the salmon goes I have heard canned salmon has a high salt content which is not very good for your turtle. If i were you i would feed him canned salmon only as a treat and i would make sure it is rinsed well before feeding it to him. I feed mine romaine lettuce and carrots he loves these and they are very good for turtles:)
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I have seen many differnt colored red ear sliders on the internet recently. I am not sure if they are sub species or if they are just differnt in color. I would still keep an eye on your little one though just to be safe becasue I am not an expert. Is the vet you took your turtle to a herp vet? If he/she isn\'t you you could have been told the wrong information. Most of the red ear sliders I have seen before I looked online were dark green almost black in color, or they are very dark with thick short carmel lines on their shells. I came across these differnt colored ones when I was looking up information. I thought it was cool. You are lucky to have one of these :) I feel that it is up to you on the whole salomon thing, I feed my turtle live guppies and rosie reds, so I don\'t see a problem in feeding your turtle fresh fish as a treat like tinkerbell suggested. When red ear sliders mature they lose most of their interest in these things though so you might want to try veggies or other aquatic plants such as a water hyacinth. If you decide on the canned salmon just make sure it is 100% fish. Good luck with your little one :)
  • Information