How much water!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
yeshua212

I just aquired two 1 inch baby red ear sliders, and I was wondering if I can make the water really deep in their tank. I know they are young, but I have seen so many people with very deep water in their tanks!
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

You need to \"teach\" them how to swim. Some baby turtle drown if the water is too deep. Its weird but not all turtles are born with the ability to swim. Start them out with two inches of water I have about ten gallons of water in my tank as they grow or when they are able to swim better(which ever comes first) you can add more water. Always make sure they are able to get onto their basking spot without any trouble this can help prevent drowning as well. My red ear slider is about seven months old now, she is about four inches long and I now keep her in a 30 gallon tank in about ten inches of water.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Last edited by Tinkerbell on Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

i also have 4 baby RES . theyre about the size of a silver dollar. wen i bought them, they had ALMOST NO WATER. it barely covered their feet! so i know for a fact they dont know how to swim. slowly im adding water. theyre at about an inch of water because even in an inch, they go crazy in the water as if drowning and try to grab something or the side of the tank so im just waiting for them to get use to it. 1 of them is but the rest arent so i gotto wait :-/
  • Information