turtles and fish

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
imokureok4
Level 1
Level 1

is it ok to put fish in the tank with my 2 baby RES?? if so what type of fish are good to mingle with turtles??
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I think it is fine to keep fish in the tank with your turtle. I myself keep feeder guppies,rosie reds (these are larger than the guppies)in the tank with my red ear slider,lily. I also keep some ghost shrimp with her. I know that they also eat feeder gold fish put I have heard it is very fatty. It might depend on the type of turtle you have though so you might want to read up on your turtle and types of fish. Good luck :)
keithx
Level 1
Level 1

if you\'re hoping for your turtle and the fish to live happily together like a disney movie... you\'ll find out quick that your RES will make a quick meal out of rosies...

even at about a month old... once my turtle (jack) realized that they were tasty... he ate all 6 of them in a 12 hour span...

he was about the size of a silver dollar...
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

LoL:) my turtle is an eastern painted turtle and he is not friendly with any type of fish, his tummy is.
snoopy
Level 3
Level 3

I bought snoopy some fish as a treat and they gave me a few more than I asked for (11). There are 2 left. She ate 4 in a time span of about 10 minutes. I had to take the rest out because I was afraid she was going to get sick! Funny thing is that she had been leaving foo uneaten in her tank, so she wasn\'t underfed, just not fed what she wanted!!! When I put the rest in a few days later she ate another 5 by the end of the day!
hurt006
Level 2
Level 2

I have two sissy turtles. They are afraid of the fish, i think. The younger one chases them but he\'s soo slow under water that he gives up shortly.
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

Mine was like that for a while it was cute then one day I found that she decided that they were tasty and nolonger friend material lol
  • Information