it\'s it ok? they start swallowing the calcium block

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
benny
Level 1
Level 1

my turtles (RES) started to chew the calcium block that you put for hardness in turtle\'s shell, i know calcium is good for them, however, i am worry that there will be some negative effects to them (if they consume too much). plz help i am so worry
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I have heard that it is ok if they eat at the block just as long as they continue to eat well as far as pellets and veggies go. although if it was me i wouldnt put more blocks in until at least a week after he consumed the first block beings that too much of anything isnt good for you.
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I heard that it is ok if they eat it since they do absorb it anyway. My turtle recently has started eating her block as well. I take the block out every couple of days so she doesn\'t eat too much of it though. :)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Getting some cuttlebone (the stuff for birds), breaking it into pieces (take off the shell/hard backing first) and letting some float in the tank for your turtle to munch on would be a better calcium supplement for your turtle than the calcium blocks they sell (and probably cheaper).
critterlover63
Level 2
Level 2

Mariza...Just wanted to let you know I love the quote you have listed at the bottom of your posts... If only all caretakers of the earth\'s creatures could abide by this there would be so much less suffering of these little souls.
benny
Level 1
Level 1

the cuttlebone included minerals such as iron, lime and other minerals. would these minerals harmful to the turtles?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Critterlover63, thanks for noticing. The quote comes from the Little Prince and is one of my favorites.

Benny, for your information, from what I\'ve read, cuttlebone is about 85% calcium carbonate, about 9% other organic material (about 20% of that being proteinaceous), 1.4% silicate (sand) and the remaining elements are trace elements. Under analysis, no specified toxic heavy metals were detected. (Some people do eat cuttlefish meat, however, and concern has been expressed over this because the meat apparently can contain heavy metals.)

I always try to have a few pieces of cuttlebone floating in the tank for my turtle. Its use has been recommended by people far more experienced in turtle care than I. (What makes using a manufactured calcium block safer?)
benny
Level 1
Level 1

thxs alot.
  • Information