SUMMER FUN

You can chat about non-pet topics here! Be courteous to others and keep it clean!
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I want to buy a kiddie pool to let my turtle swim in during the summer time so he can capture the natural rays of the sun and spend some time outside. Does anybody have any experience in this department? Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this more natural and fun for my turtle and i any ideas would be appreciated very much:)
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

sounds interesting but where are you going to get a mesh top to fit a kiddie pool???
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I was thinking about looking in home depot for it or something close to it, if I can\'t find mesh that will fit I could sew it together. If I can\'t do that I might try some sort of closly knit fence for the top, i\'m not sure yet. Do you have any ideas? :)
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

yes i am going to use a very large mesh laundry bag with a drawstring tie to secure it to the pool to protect my turtle from unwanted critters:)
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I had the same idea, sorta. I found my old hamick I used for my stuffed animals when I was little, I am thinking of using that but I am not sure yet. I might want to build something a little more secure. Good luck with your idea. :)
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Sounds like a good idea good luck on your ideas too:D
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

Tinkerbell wrote:
I want to buy a kiddie pool to let my turtle swim in during the summer time so he can capture the natural rays of the sun and spend some time outside. Does anybody have any experience in this department? Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this more natural and fun for my turtle and i any ideas would be appreciated very much:)
I was thinking of doing the same thing for my 2 RES this summer but was worried about birds. I\'m also afraid they will grow toooo much and won\'t be happy when they have to go back in their 20L tank. How warm do the nights have to be before they go outside? I live in TX.
eL ChiNo LoCo
Level 1
Level 1

You should put a mesh top with chicken wire, the kind with very tiny holes. It protects from nasty lil bugs and airborne predators.
Peanut1108
Level 1
Level 1

Is it really safe to leave them outside day and night? Won\'t the water get too warm in the sun and too cold at night?
kingrattus
Level 1
Level 1

In my opinion u shouldn\'t keep ur turtles outside in a kiddy pool unattended.
1. they taste yummy to many strong smart animals.
2. if the sun is on the kiddy pool too long, they can over heat.
3. if it get too hot outside the water will warm up, even in the shade.
4. would u leave ur small kids alone outside? not I.

But if u really want to leave ur guys outside. Put them in a pond. U can buy a nice plastic pond for under $100.00can.
these pond r much deeper then a kiddy pool, so they wont heat up nearly as fast (if u put it into the ground).

But I\'d just rather chase my common snapper around on the front lawn. & when I get too hot, its too hot for him. & with me only about a max. of 20 feet away & in Canada\'s largest Mega City, I don\'t have to fear alot of wild animals (except at night).

But I still do not recomend leaving ur turtles outside unattended.
  • Information