I wonder.........

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

if I am overfeeding my turtles. I am very new to turtle \"parenting\". I got them about two months ago. One had a shell about the size of a quarter. The other about a half-dollar. They have about doubled in size. I feed them about 6 days a week. Twice with a mix of chicken or tuna with a couple of fruits and veggies. Two or three days with fruits and veggies, and once or twice commercial diet. I feed them about a teaspoon to a teaspoon and a half at each feeding. I also add a vitamin suppliment 2X a week. Are they growing too fast. I also have feeder guppies in there, but they are just breeding.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, you\'re overfeeding them. A general guide is up to a year of age, feed once daily; after a year every other day. The portion size is an amount that would fit into the turtle\'s head, not including the neck. If you want to feed them twice a day, give them each half-a-head-size portion in the morning and the other half later in the day. This is for turtle pellets/other turtle foods. Veggies/aquatic plants can be given freely (they may not be interested in them when really young, but it wouldn\'t hurt to try).
  • Information