I see something on the shell

Discussions about turtles.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

I recently noticed that one of my res has a white small spot on its shell, what is this? should i worry? I am thinking that perhaps it may have happened from the heater, they have a tendency to hang out underneath the heater alot, can anyone help me out on this?
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

The white spot could be many different things that range from shell rot, too much protein, or air under scutes. You might want to try doing a search of the posts that are already present on the forums they may be able to help you what exactly do the spots look like???
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

I noticed they are two white spots, it looks like the shell is slightly faded on the spot, how can i take care of this problem? I cant see why it would get shell rot.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

If it is in the right conditions such as clean water, basking platform with basking light and uvb light it most likely got burnt from the heater and if that is the case there is a link below on how to treat burns. The only other thing i could think of is that maybe your turtle has too much protein in its diet.This site will help you deal with many medical issues your turtle may encounter.If you browse this site you may be able to figure out what is wrong with your turtle. The information on burns is in the general heath issues and information on white patches is in the sin and shell section.
Good luck
ps. keep me updated :)

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/emergencies.htm
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

if it\'s a silvery patch underwater and white when dry then it may be that the scutes are about to shed. It\'s hard to tell without pics. Anyway you can post a picture?
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

the patches is right close to the tail, that part seems to feel a bit soft, but i mean how can you tell if its soft, i soemtimes get afraid to press to hard, is it ok to press hard, or if a turtle has soft shell can you feel it immediately? it almost looks like its not a burn but more like a bubble inside the shell
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

the area around the tail is usually a little softer than the rest of the shell. If you press lightly anywhere else on the shell and can feel it give way, then your turtle may have a soft shell problem either from lack of UVB/nutrients.
If the scute looks like there\'s a bubble, most likely it\'s just the scute shedding and you can leave it alone. Sooner or later the scute will fall off.
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

i took a picutre of it, but not sure if you will be able to see clearly of it, give me your email address so that i can send you a picture, and you tell me what you think, i dont know waht to do. I have a UVB light in the tank and it should be working good, my other res doesnt seem to have this problem, just one of them. what do you suggest i do?
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Just go to search and type in my username and you can send me an email containing the picture of your turtle and ill try to tell you what i think:)
  • Information