turtle cant open eyes

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
5res

I have two turtles one has a white film covering its eyes and it cant open them my other turtle has the film on one eye but not the other. does anyone know what this is? what do i do? the turtle with both eyes covered shell is really soft also does anyone know why?
Kantele
Level 2
Level 2

Hi there, this infection is called swollen eyes. This kind of infection is mostly caused by dirty water. If you don;t have a filter I reccomend you to change your turltes water every two days. Be sure that you have a proper setup, including at least a heater (temperature between 78-82), a basking light, and an UVB light. You can buy drops for your turtle. Try putting your turtles into a saline solution along with this eye drops; your turtles will feel better.If their condition does not improve, take them to a VET ASAP.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Soft shell disease (metabolic bone disease) is NOT the same thing as shell rot. MBD is caused by a lack of calcium, lack of VitD3 and/or a diet that\'s too high in phosphorous or an improper balance between the three. The turtle with the soft shell should be basking under a UVB light (no barrier between the light and the turtle), at a temp 85-90F (get a second light for a heat source). Make sure he gets plenty of calcium (try cuttlebone--take off the hard backing, break it into little pieces and let some float in the tank. You could also get some calcium powder (make sure it contains no phosphorous) and roll his moistened pellets in it and feed them to him. Don\'t feed a lot of animal matter (shrimp, etc.)--it\'s high in phosphorus.

I rescued a turtle that had one eye covered with white gunk like you described. It was due to improper living conditions and slowly disappeared with proper diet, basking under proper lighting, clean water (78-80F), proper temps, etc.

The fact that both your turtles have/are getting this condition suggests that you don\'t have the proper set-up for them. It would be good to read about what they need and change their environment accordingly. They, but especially the one with the soft shell, should be seen by a qualified vet. Try http://www.arav.org/USMembers.htm to find one near you.
  • Information