Need advice on small tank

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
ringopan
Level 1
Level 1

I have two small RES, each about 1 inch in length. They both live in a small tank, about 12inch(Length) x 4.5inch(width) x 6inch(Height). I\'m sorry I am really tight on space and money. This tank was the best I could get.

I have a \"beach\" that acts as the basking area. However, the cleaning of water is very tedious and annoying.

Is there any filter that is small enough to fit nicely into this tank? Keep in mind taht including the beach there is only about 9 inches of water.

Also, I am thinking about adding some fish into the tank to see if my turtles will eat them. Would it be a bad idea to put fish in there now without a filter?
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Good luck
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
speedy'smom
Level 2
Level 2

You do really need to get an adequate set up for your turtles.

I can sympathize that it can be expensive, but it is necessary and i\'m sure you love your turtles.

It is sad that pet stores that sell these turtles really don\'t give good information sometimes. When we bought our turtles they told us all we needed was a container and a rock and to feed it pellets. We found out very different when researching. With this irresponsible selling of turtles, good intentioned people are leaving feeling like they can easily take care of these pets based on information they believed to be reliable from a pet store.

I hope you can get your turtles into a good home soon. Try yard sales and flea markets for good deals on a tank. You can even keep them in a larger plastic container as long as you have the light and basking area set up. Get a regular desk lamp for the heat for the basking area (try a second hand shop or thrift store) and buy a reptile bulb for the uvb requirements(this will probably cost the most). You can always get the filter last, it will just mean cleaing more often in the meantime.
  • Information