One of my Turtles seems to have partialy eated anothers back

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Dan S

I noticed the other day that the smallest of my 3 Red Ears was spending all his time on the basking spot, I nudged him into the water and was horrified to see that his back feet had been chewed down past the nails, it is so gross! He is smaller than the other two and always looked kind of sickly, his shell is somwhat deformed (Not curved all the way around) and has white spots on it esspecialy when dry, Will the toes and nails grow back? Help!, Dan S
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

Buy some Neosporin and apply it to the wound. Let it dry before putting the turtle back in. How big is your tank? Aggression happens when the tank is too small and the turtles fight for territory or maybe because he\'s the small fry, he\'s getting picked on. Either way, it\'s better if you separate him from the other 2.

Was his shell already deformed when you got him? This can happen from lack of proper nutrients and lighting. He should go to a herp vet and see what can be done to fix this problem. The white spots can be fungus/shellrot or scute shedding. Can you provide any pictures? You should definitely take him to the vet before he gets worse. The vet should also be able to treat the foot wound.
Dan S

chanman wrote:
Buy some Neosporin and apply it to the wound. Let it dry before putting the turtle back in. How big is your tank? Aggression happens when the tank is too small and the turtles fight for territory or maybe because he\'s the small fry, he\'s getting picked on. Either way, it\'s better if you separate him from the other 2.

Was his shell already deformed when you got him? This can happen from lack of proper nutrients and lighting. He should go to a herp vet and see what can be done to fix this problem. The white spots can be fungus/shellrot or scute shedding. Can you provide any pictures? You should definitely take him to the vet before he gets worse. The vet should also be able to treat the foot wound.
Dan S

He was born with a deformed shell,The other 2
are perfectly healthy, I do think I need to get a bigger tank however. Thank you for your input,
  • Information