spastic movements

Discussions about turtles.
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

Just a question about my male RES. He is in his own 50 gal tank..water temp between 75-80. He is eating normal and acting normal except for when he basks. Recently, when he gets up on his basking area, his head does a spastic rotation type thing and then both his front legs scratch the top of his head. He does this for several minutes until he goes back into the water and acts normal. Just wondering if anyone knows what\'s going on. Thanks. BTW, the heating lamp is 60 W, and about 8-10 inches above basking area if that means anything.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Last edited by m1key72988 on Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

no, no chlorine in the water. It\'s odd because sometimes he gets on the basking area and does nothing. Other times his legs and head flutters and he\'ll just go back into the water like nothing is wrong....maybe the basking area is too hot? He acts normal all other times and is very active. Eyes look good, shell good, anything I can think of.
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

He could be shedding and trying to scratch the little bits of skin off of his head around his eyes. Mine tends to do this when she sheds. Look very closely to see if your turtle is shedding it is best to view the turtle while in the water:)
Hope it helps let us know when you find out what is wrong
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I wonder if you\'re describing what my turtle sometimes does when he prepares to bask. He will paw at the air with either is front or back legs and definately looks spastic. If he does it with his back legs, at some point they will be thrust out straight in back of him like he\'s flying. I know that he\'s getting ready to do some serious basking when I see him do that. He sometimes will also twitch after he\'s been basking for a while and when he does, I know that he\'s probably going to go back in the water fairly soon (which he does). I think the movements have something to do with thermoregulating.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

My turtle does this as well and i think it is perfectly normal:D
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hurt006
Level 2
Level 2

my turtle also does this. I\'t kinda cute!
  • Information