SOMEONE HELP!!!!!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I have a new turtle named peanut i have had him for about a month and today i just noticed something new appearing in his tank a couple of long, flat, white,non-moving stringy looking things that resemble a trash bag tie string.I thought worms move???why arent they moving? I know they are most likely parasites the thing i do not know is what kind of parasite beings there are all types of them and how would i treat this problem? I have viewed many websites and still have not found enough help in this area. I am worried about the parasites infecting me as well as my other animals two hamsters, 3 dogs, and another turtle(although they are in seperate tanks).Is there anyone who has had experience in this matter? Does anyone know the harm turtle parasites can have on a human?
Thank you
Any help would be appreciated:)
smdturts
Level 1
Level 1

Just wondering if you ever found out what was wrong. I have a similar thing going on with my turtles. I took the white strand to my vet and they think it is a tape worm, yet they don\'t treat turtles there. We have an appointment first thing Monday morning with a vet that does.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

No not yet, is your situation exactly the same as mine? When you find out what it is could you please let me know what it is because im kind of worried about my turtle??? See the reason i didnt take him to the vet is it happened like once and it hasnt happened since then and he is still acting healthy and normal.
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

I am neither a turtle expert, nor a parasite expert, but I thought I might be able to offer my experience with you.

A few months ago I got a Black Moore fish and it had what is called an anchor worm. It was a long, white, flat string that came out of the fish\'s rectum. The worm didn\'t move, and one end of the worm was split, like a forked tongue. I treated the worm with parasite killers, but it still eventually killed the fish.

First of all, I dont know if these parasites exist on turtles, and I also don\'t want to scare you, as turtles seem more resiliant than fish, but I thought it might be a possibility that is what it is. The forked end is very distinct, and you\'ll recongnize it if you google the words \"anchor worm\"

Approximately how big are these worms? Do they appear on the turtle, or just somewhere in the tank?
smdturts
Level 1
Level 1

<<Approximately how big are these worms? Do they appear on the turtle, or just somewhere in the tank?>>
The worms vary in length. They are flat and definitly are coming from the rectum. I didn\'t notice and forked end. They look very much like the tapeworms I have seen in cats and dogs in the past. I should know tomorrow what they are for sure as we\'ll be seeing the vet.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Any news on your turtle?
  • Information