Way too chill...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

Hey kids,

I know it may sound weird but our usually super-active little guy has been acting kind of odd lately and we\'re just wondering if anyone knew if turtles kind of slowed down in the winter. I\'ve been reading stuff about respiratory infections--symptoms and whatnot--but it doesn\'t seem that extreme. He\'s still eating like a fiend and basking but instead of his daily regimen of swiming back and forth, he just sort of chills on the bottom of his tank. When we come near him, tap on the glass, shake his bottle of food, he seems to wake up and start swimming. It\'s so odd. We\'re just not sure if we should be worried or not. We\'ve had him for a year now with no health problems so maybe we\'re just being neurotic. Actually, we would love someone to tell us we\'re merely being neurotic--that \"all turtles mellow out during the winter.\" Thanks in advance for any input!
deesygirl

As he is still eating well, then you probably have no worries. I would double check the temp in the tank just to be certain. Also keep an eye on him for any symptoms of illness.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

My turtle did the same thing in the winter so i wouldn\'t worry about it just keep an eye out for any signs that lead to turlle illness though just in case but other than that \"all turtles mellow out in the winter\" LOL:p
Good luck
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

My lil guy is doin the same
still eating & everything he just likes to rest a lil more now

Thanks for all the love...it\'s good to know everything\'s cool...but we\'ll definitely continue to keep an eye on him (as if we couldn\'t, he\'s such a wee attention-hog). Thanks again.
  • Information