Turtle\'s mood has changed

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
boomerang
Level 1
Level 1

My turtle used to act so happy in his tank, but lately he has kinda been acting depressed. I think it is because I can\'t take him outside for walks since it is too cold. I tried letting him walk around my room, but he gets so much hair and stuff wrapped around him. Does anyone have any suggestions to what I might can do to make him feel better until it warms up? Also, do turtles tend to eat more in the winter time? It seems mine just wants to eat all the time. He has pulled all the rocks off his basking area and been trying to eat them. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

First, you really shouldn\'t let him walk around on the carpet. Carpet is very dirty no matter how clean you keep it and it can get sick. How warm is your water in the tank. Your heater should be keeping it 78-82. If your turtle is wanting to eat all the time you can leave floating veggies for it to graze on during the day. Try some romaine lettuce. Mine even likes to get on it and float. You can use other veggies as well. This wont over feed it, but lets it graze throughout the day. They always act like they are starving. If the water is too cold it may have been trying to burrow to hibernate. Watch for any other symptoms. By the way, I hope the rocks are bigger than your turtle\'s head so it doesnt eat them and get them impacted.
boomerang
Level 1
Level 1

His water is kept at 82. He gets out and basks and everything. I think he is fine, but just down because he is tired of his tank. I didn\'t let him walk on the carpet, it is hard wood floors. He just likes to get into the corners where I can\'t get him and where he can get all dirty. I don\'t know what to do with him. I want him to be happy.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Last edited by Tinkerbell on Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

I\'ve heard that turtles tend to be a bit slower in the winter time only because in the wild they would be hibernating at this time.
  • Information