VITAMINS

Discussions about turtles.
speedy'smom
Level 2
Level 2

Hi I am a fairly new turtle owner who has lots to learn.

Can anyone give me a specific brand of vitamins that I should buy for our turtle?

We have searched a lot on the internet and have a good setup, feed a varied diet, and have proper lighting, use a cuttle bone etc.
I have looked for vitamins at our petstore and they are mostly indicated for various reptiles, so I have been confused on what to buy.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

If you are giving them a variety of veggies, of course only the ones they are suppose to have, the turtle wont need vitamins. Glad to hear you are doing such a diligent job of caring for your turtle!
speedy'smom
Level 2
Level 2

Shelngav, thanks for your response.

So you don\'t think a mulitvitamin of some kind would be a good idea? I thought I read somewhere that you should still give vitamins.

I guess I just worry a lot after seeing all the different health problems I\'ve seen on the internet.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I hope this helped good luck:p
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
speedy'smom
Level 2
Level 2

thanks, I will go out and see if I can find that kind of vitamin here, it\'s good to have a reference from people who have turtles, because I have found that pet stores don\'t always give the best information (information I have been given before has turned out to be wrong)
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I agree it is good to get advice from experienced turtle owners8) Just out of curiousity i was wondering what kind of turtle do you have?How old? I have an eastern painted he will be a year old in may.
#1: Never go solely by the advice of people in pet stores(9 times out of 10) they have no idea what they are talking about. LOL
Good luck with your new turtle
speedy'smom
Level 2
Level 2

I have a Red-eared slider and we\'ve have had him about 5 months. The pet store told us that he was about a year old when we got him. he is around 5 inches in length. I am glad I found this site because you are so right, pet stores don\'t always know a lot and the problem is they pretend to. Where we bought our turtle, they told us all we needed was a rock and a container, no mention of lighting etc. they also told us all we need to feed it is pellets. (However our turtle appeared healthy when we bought it and the tanks in the store were clean)It was only afterward that we discovered all the information that we needed, mostly on the internet. It\'s been a real learning experience with our turtle and we\'re looking forward to having him around for a very long time.
Abby
Level 2
Level 2

Hello guys, LM animal farms vitamins is very good, I give it to my turtle everyday. I mix it with the pellets. LM animal farms also makes calcium powder for reptiles which is beneficial for turtles. It\'s better to provide multi-vitamins b/c at least they get all the necessary minerals, etc. to grow healthy and happy. Try feeding them carrots, Dandelion, Celery, Romaine lettuce, tomatoes and addition to it\'s regular meal b/c veggies are an excellent source of vitamins for turtles. Enjoy taking care of your turtles. Warm regards to all, Abby

P.S. Do not give them spinach, or iceberg lettuce it\'s not good for them, they tend to deplete calcium absorption.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

I Use rep cal, calcium powder and i mix it in with there pellets, its phosphorus free which is important b/c its hard to keep a good phosphorus:calcium ration in a reptiles diet, there are many brands of calium supliments that you can use and are just as effective.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Good luck and i hope you have your turtle for years to come:D
  • Information