Question

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

I have owned many reptiles, but just got my first pair of RES about 6 weeks ago. What I am wondering about is that I never see one of them basking. I rarely see him eat. Otherwise he seems fine, but still fearful. The other one (who was apparently sick when I got him and bounced right back with extra warmth)has an appetite that is a little too good and I have seen him basking. The one that doesn\'t eat or bask has a nice clean shell, clear eyes, and seems very active when I approach the tank. Am I worried about nothing? Another thing, I am using a flourescent plant light. Does anyone know if that is sufficent along with a 60 watt basking lamp?

Stephanie
deesygirl

I would get a UV bulb. A florecent pplant bulb does not provide the UVB and UVA rays that your turtles need.

As for not basking and being fearful, I would just give him more time. One of mine tooks months before he was comfortable around us. :)
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks! Right after I posted, I read about the plant light. I went out the next day and got a UVA/UVB bulb. I am also thinking about getting a powdered calcium/D3 suppliment for them. I used that with my Iguanas. I just wonder how it will affect the water quality.
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

And I also made some changes in the tank set up and my turtle is basking!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Information