Urgetnt help my turtle might die any second!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Fobo2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi i just brought my own Red eared slider like a month ago.And it is medium. It was not a baby when i brought it. I really did not know a lot about turtles. i Just thought that all you needed is a 2-5 gallon tank and 2 cups of water in the tank, a big rock, and a turtle. Si i got it. but then when the days started passing i noticed that you needed more things. My turtle always use to love eating but then in the second week simce i had him , he never ate again. then 2 days passed and he started to close his eyes and they started to get swollen. And he never opened them again. I was really scared. So i called my friends who had expierence and they all recomended turtle eye drops. so i got the turtle eye drops. but they dont work. Then the petstore reccomended \"FURACYN\" (i sure hope you know what that is) well it didnt work either. Then the pet store reccomended a heater. im using it . but the turtle still is not feeling better. And since i brought the heater all my funds for the turtle wasted. now i have no money. My mom is single and she gets paid very little each week so she cant help me pay for anything else. im really sad. I know i cant do anything but ask for help. i know i cant pay. I cant even afford a vet. I dont want my turtle to die. Please help me somebody. I really need it right now. if you have any info you can reccomend please send right away.thank you very much.

Contact me at [email protected]
benny
Level 1
Level 1

check out this website on Turtle\'s first aid
(under CARE SHEETS) and then click swollen eyes. (HOPE THIS HELPS, they suggest another eye drop that reduce inflammation)

This site would also be useful http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medeyes.htm
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

It sounds like you didnt have the proper setup and there are probably several things going on. One the infection it has is due to unclean water. You need to have a filter, if you do not, you MUST change the water very often. Right now while it is sick I would change it everyother day. You also need a heater. The water should be between 78-82 degrees. Right now with it sick I would keep it about 82-85. Keep it in an area away from drafts. I am sorry to say you will need to find a way to invest for this turtle. It will need a UVB light to simulate sunlight or it will not absorb calcium and get soft shell (metabolic bone disease) The basking light can be just a regular bulb, I use 75 watt. It should have an area to bask that is about 10 degrees more than the water, so it will get out to dry off so it doesnt get fungus and shell rot. Follow the directions for the eyes like benny suggested. Next, it isnt expensive, but I would get baby vitamins (like polyvisol) you can buy generic ones. Put these in the water everyday. This will help boost its immune system to fight this off. Unfortunately you may have to take it to a vet to get help. I would also check around for a vet in town that works with reptiles. Call and let them know your situation and maybe they can offer some advice or ways you can treat it so the cost is low. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
bonnie_lynn2001
Level 3
Level 3

My turtle was very sick
i changed the water every day
i got a heated light so that uped the temp to bout 85
i got dr turtle sulfer blocks and water conditioner blocks (cuz of the water change so often)
and i took him out of his tank bout 4 times a day for a hour at each time
as soon as i got the heater i noticed a big difference
so the most important thing is to keep him warm
good luck
Fobo2
Level 1
Level 1

BENNY- Thanks but i already went there. and i didnt get help (remember my turtle has 2 problems it dosent eat and it has swollen eyes. no only one. and my utrtle eye drops that i got are good enough the pet owner told me. Thanks enyways if you can try to get more info please.

Shelngav- Thanks i will use your info hopefully ton saturday i will go to the vet if he gives me a discount. thanks. try to get more info please. thanks for trying to save my turtle live.

bonnie lynn- thanks please try to get more info please and thankyou.

Good Looking all of ya .
Fobo2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I would like to thank all of you for all of the help. But sadly my turtle Named \"Herbie\" has died at 8:20 PM. Today Saturday Febuary 7 2004.

Thanks

May He Rest In Peace
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I am so sorry to hear about herbie:( hopefully he is in turtle heaven
plasmik
Level 2
Level 2

Sorry to hear about your turtle, at first alot of people make the mistake of thinking that when you take a new pet into your home that if its a hamster, turtle, etc... that there isnt much to take care of them, because they may be cheap to purchase, but you have to sometimes wonder that they are alive and need alot of stuff just like us, when i first got my 2 res, i bought them in Canal Street, in NYC, and they cost $5.00, i thought to myself, hey all i have to do is buy them food, but when i started feeding them i realized they never ate the food, i found that very strange and immediately i started doing research on them, i had previously owned two hamsters and they wound up getting sick on me and it hurt so much to have them die on me, and it was because i did not do the proper research to take care of them or to find out what they needed. so this time i took alot of concern to find out all about my res, and found out i needed a tank, a filter, a heater, a basking area, etc... it turns out i spent over 100 dollars on them, when i was only expecting to spend 10-15 dollars, but i realized that it was worth it, once you get them all they need, you see how adorable they are, and how happy they seem, i almost felt bad for the rest of the turtles i seen in the city that they were selling, they keep them in these little tiny bowls, i almost want to save everyone of them, but i dont have a big enough apartment to keep so many turtles, lol. I think that if one day you can afford to have a turtle, you should get one, they are alot of fun to have. I know that having these two res has made me so happy.
  • Information