Are they fighting?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
stokes44
Level 1
Level 1

I have had two sliders for about 2 years. Recently one started burying himself under rocks. This is a new activity for my baby. I was told it might be hibernation. Yesterday I found the other one (who normally just hangs around or on top)trying to bite his butt. Could this be hibernation or fighting? Is this normal? If so, what do I do? Thank you!
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

it\'s normal for turtles to try to nip at each other. just make sure it\'s not doing it all the time. then this may be a dominance issue - most likely because the tank is too small.

what is the water temp? turtle won\'t go into hibernation if the water is warm enough (between 75-82 degrees)
stokes44
Level 1
Level 1

The water temp is in the 70\'s. Its a ten gallon tank and they are still close to six inches big. Thank you!

My turtles have alway nipped at eachother too. My sister in laws did also. I think it is normal for them. Watch him under the rocks because mine did that just lastnight and I didn\'t see him till this morning he was limp this morning. He is still pretty sick. Is one of your turtles bigger then the other? And which one is biting.
  • Information