How full of water is to full?

Discussions about turtles.
lilblackgirl

I\'ve got a 60 gallon tank with 3 baby RES. After going through many variations on how i decorated the tank, i\'ve settled with an empty tank and a good basking rock. I\'ve taken out all of the pebbles, rocks, bricks, etc. b/c they were dirtying up the tank and water and i was having to completely change out the water once a week. So i\'ve discovered that after having these guys a while, they love to swim at full speed back and forth from side to side, so i keep the tank almost completely full so as to give them plenty of space to swim and get a good workout. They can climb out of the water onto the rock and bask. Is having the tank that full of water a bad thing? Do i need to have more objects in the tank for them to hide behind or climb up onto?
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

It depends on if they are strong swimmers or not because believe it or not they can drown:) It sounds as though they already know how to swim and have it under control.As long as they can get up onto the basking platform i dont see why they need any additional stones or bricks.
Good luck with them:)
Abby
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, the water should be at a minimum as deep as the size of their shell or preferably even a few inches deeper than their size. They need enough depth in the water to flick themselves over should they flip upside down. This is the safest way to gauge how deep the water is should be. Make sure they can raise themselves to the surface so they can take a break from swimming. Too deep is not safe b/c they can drown and too shallow is not safe either b/c the need room to turnover if need be. I hope you know what I mean. Let me know if I can be of more help. Thanks and good luck, Abby
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

I have 2 res in a 55 gallon tank and they are both under 3 inches big, my water depth is around 16-18 inches, res are strong swimmers, and if they have lots of things that they can rest on near the surface of the water, it can be fairly deep. My turtles are used to the water depth, if you are going to make it deep i suggest you raise it slowly, i went from 3 inches to 6 inches to 8 inches to 16 inches in depth, what size are your res?? also you could haev floating plants near the top thats what mine like to rest on also i have a 2 basking areas one submersed 2 inches below the water level and one so they can completely dry off. You dont have to make it deep, 6 inches is probably a good depth for you now and you can increse the depth later.
TurtleMotherOfFour
Level 2
Level 2

hi, i have the same question as you. I have 4 baby RES about an inch each. when i bought them they had almost no water. it barely covered their feet! I added alittle more water now so it covers their shell but they can still touch the ground (except for one which is extra small and is floating around haha its adorable!) but anyways, when I added the water yesterday and still now they freak out in it. they start moving around like crazy until they find something stable to hold on to or they\'ll pile on top of each other. I dont want them to dorwn but i want them to learn to swim. How will I know when to add more water for them? they cant really swim in this height of water because they touch the florr but when they move around the go crazy and I\'m scared to add more. What should i do???
  • Information