cleaning aquarium

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
imokureok4
Level 1
Level 1

basically i would just like everyone to explain how they clean their turtle tank,because i did mine for the first time today and it was way too much of a project or maybe some pointers on how to clean it would help,thanx.
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

sorry but have to say that cleaning the tank is definitely not easy. i can spend 6 hours or more sometimes getting everything right.

what i do:
- put turtles in a playpen
- remove everything from the tank (remember to unplug the heater and let it sit for 10 min in the water before removal)
- drain the water. scooping out the water will take a much longer time. I hear the Python is a time saver and works great. I don\'t have one so I don\'t know how it works exactly.
- I scrub the insides of tank with water to loosen any dirt clinging, then wipe it dry. Then spray on some Zoomed\'s Wipe Out - kills a lot of bacteria, including samonella. Let that dry then rinse the entire tank.
- scrub everything removed from the tank.. dock, filter, heater..etc. and change the filter media
- refill the tank with water.
- turn on the heater and the basking lamps to help the water heat up faster
- put everything back in

I have to say waiting for the water to heat up to 78 degrees takes the longest. It\'s usually around 60 when the tank is newly filled.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

It only takes about an hour and a half
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

I used to get the water out to clean it by buckets or cups at a time. I have what\'s called a Python. There\'s all sorts of brands of them, but they hook up to your sink and suck the water out and put it back in for you. This has saved me hours. Before I use it though, I scrub the rocks, clean the filters, and all that. I have a 50 and a 60 gal aquarium. with the python, I can clean the 50 within 20 minutes and the 60 in about 35-40. I would highly recommend getting a python. well worth paying for in my opinion
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

It depends on the tank you use i actually heard using a python was easier than my bucket method. So i went out and bought it. when i got home and tried it out in my 20 gallon tank i personally thought it took a lot longer on that size tank than it would just to do the bucket method. Maybe it would be worth it if i had a huge tank. I guess it\'ll be useful in the future:)
Good Luck
teana20
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning out the little pebbles at the bottom? That seems to be the hardest part of cleaning my tank, i\'m always scared of scratching the bottom.
Thanks
  • Information