new with turtles and one is sick!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
abuelita

hi im a new with having turtles and i now have 3 ! over the past months i have been watching my friends care for the 2 RES, they had. after a few more month seeing the kids think the turtles were dead, and leaving them in a very dirty tank with no light, filter, never feeding them i took it upon my self to \"rescue\" them. i have read up on them i bought a 20gal tank a heater a lamp with proper lighting and have been giving them better food to the size they can eat. just this past week in the same house i got the 2 i now have from i got one more. 2 were left in a house with no heat, no light for them, no food, no clean water and almost no water at all, alone for weeks at a time. one died. so i \"rescued\" the last one. that is how i now have 3. the thing is the last one i got is sick seeming. his shell feels SO soft, and he doesnt like to open his eyes, or move around alot. sometimes i almost think he is dead. i have been trying to do what i can even went out and got stuff for his shell to put on it. but i dont know if there is anything else i can do before taking him to the vet. it is also hard to find a vet that knows anything about turtles. another problem is that the same house where i got my 3 from has friends who got there turltes at the same tiem and also do not take care of them in the way a RES should be. im haivng problems takingin so many for the time being. im super worried about my little one being so sick. i odnt know i may have 5 by the end of next week. i dont think i can handle so many but i dont know. most importnt is the little one. they are all very small still and the sickone is even smaller than the rest. if anyone can give me words of wisdom or anyhelp at alli would be so greatful!
thanks, m*p
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I am going through a similar situation only more complicated the people i am dealing with wont let me have them. Anyway first of all seperate the sick one from the others or they will get sick too. If i were you i would try to find a good rescue organization in my area and let them take on the turtles this way you know they are in good hands. Five turtles can be quite expensive to house and are alot of work. If you want to keep one of them (such as the small,sick one) as your own and if this is the case i would take it to a herp(sees turtles) vet maybe you can find one on this site:
http://www.arav.org/USMembers.htm
The sick turtle you are describing sounds like he has soft shell disease or metabolic bone disease that has been let get to such a severe point he/she now needs a vets assistance.
Good Luck:)
Ps. let me know how it all works out?
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

one of my little ones had the exact issue that you are describing.

his shell was soft, his eyes wouldn\'t open and he would sleep all the time although he did have a healthy appetite.

I took him to the vet and they diagnosed it as being a vitamin deficiency. I had to give him vitamin shots, eye drops, as well as vitamin syrup to soak his food in. It\'s been a little over 2 weeks now and he is doing 100% better. He\'s active, eyes are wide open. He\'s still small though but hopefully he\'ll grow soon.

Find a herp vet near you in the link Tinkerbell provided. My trip to the vet wasn\'t cheap - $111 - but I know there are much cheaper places out there (I hear $35 or so).
Fobo2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi i have a brand new turtle its kinda like a medium size male Red Eared Slider. I already had him over a month. Name is herbie. Well it all started when i saw my friends have 2 res for about 4 years and i helped them out a lot. i thouhght it was very easy to take care of it so i brought one of my own. They have no filter ,heater, lamp, like 10 cups of water in the tank and they dont even take care of them. But i didnt know turtles get sick. when i brought mines i lasted a week with it eating and it bieng ok. but then i fed it a live fish. then 2 days later it started to not eat anymore and then its eyes started to close and stay shut like if he would never open them again. i did not know what to do. so i called all my friends i knew that had expierence with turtles they all recomended turtle eye drops ok so i brought it.then ive been calling the vet and ask by phone they did not know but they said to bring it in. but i cant cause i cant afford it. now i went to the pet store and they said maybe its hibernating. then i went to the pet store that i brought my turtle at. they recomended a heater turtle eye drops and some medication called FURACYN. i have tried it nothing works. i went to the internet and to many webpages none worked at all. exept here where im asking you right now. please help i dont know what to do. i really dont want my turtle to die.please help. and heres my email you can contact me their if you want. [email protected] please reply as soon as possible. thank you
  • Information