Fight in my tank

Discussions about turtles.
Vuki
Level 1
Level 1

I have two red ear sliders for about a year and a half.They were getting along just fine until a month ago,then one started biting the other by its hind legs and tail.
He made a small wound on the others tale.
Should I separate them or is it just temporary?
HELP!!!
cajohnson
Level 2
Level 2

are they both the same sex? how old are they? maybe they are trying to establish territory if they are males? if it would keep up I would seperate so neither gets a life threatening injury.
Vuki
Level 1
Level 1

it looks like they are both males. They are about 1,5-2years old but the bitten one is slightly smaller. Is there a possibility that I do not feed them enough? I\'ve seen in some place that rearanging the stuff in the thank might help. Is that right? Cause I have no space for two tanks and I would like to keep them both.
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

how big is the tank you\'re currently keeping them in and how big are your turtles? If the tank is too small, this might be a dominance problem.

you should also wash out the bite wound. it could become infected. apply some betadine on it and feed the turtle food with vitamin A. this should promote faster healing.

keep an eye out for your turtles. if your tank is too small, unless they get a larger living space the aggression is probably going to continue and ultimatley you should either separate them or get a larger tank.
Vuki
Level 1
Level 1

Its about 20 gallons.should I keep the injured one dry?
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

I hear that it\'s not good to dry dock them unless the treatment specifically calls for it.
I haven\'t used betadine myself. I just read from others who do use it. Maybe just apply the meds, let it dry, and then put the turtle back in?
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

also, if your tank is only 20 gallons and the turtles are 2 years old - I\'m guesstimating them to be about 8 inches each - then the tank is way too small.

You\'ll need a 160 gallon tank.
formula is 10 gallons for every inch of shell

rubbermaid tubs are a good alternative if a glass tank is out of your price range
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

It sounds to me like your turtles are having territorial issues because of the lack of space available to them. I would think if you dont seperate them or get a bigger tank then they will just keep on fighting.
PS. Let us know how your turtles are doing?
Good Luck:)
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

looks like Neosporin would work too for the wound.

read about it:
http://www.healing-aid.com/conaffairs/neosporin.shtml
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I also heard that you can buy Reptoheal in pet stores that will help the cut scab and heal. You might wanna look into it i heard its fairly cheap.

Good Luck
Kyla77
Level 2
Level 2

Okay i DON\'T know alot \'bout turtles (I don\'t have one yet) but I would seperate them but if u don\'t have the room then I would maybe but something in between the box in the middle. I hope this helps but don\'t go and do it and expect the problem to be solved because yes I am ammiting it: I don\'t know much about turtles so ya!

Kyla77
Kyla*:)*
Vuki
Level 1
Level 1

They are still fighting,so Vlada can\'t heal,but i\'m separating them this afternoon so i\'ll see how it goes.They are not 2 years old but one(my mum replied). They are about 4 inches in diameter so I hope two tanks of 20 gallons will do.
Thanks
angel204

Somebody in this post said it\'s a gallon for every inch of shell then if my turtle is 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches then how much water should be in my turtle\'s tank?
angel204

In the last post I sent I meant to say 10 gallons for every inch instead of 1 gallon
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

the water should be at least 1.5 times higher than the turtle\'s shell length. I\'m not positive, but the water should be around 20 gallons, give or take a few gallons.
Last edited by chanman on Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tucker Turtle

Hi it looks like I\'ve got the same problem. My Tucker Turtle and Tulle were getting along great until just a few weeks ago. I was just wondering how everything is going in your tank as it looks like I\'ll have to either seperate or move up to a bigger tank.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If there isn\'t 10 gallons of tank per inch of shell length (two 2-inch turts need at least a 40-gallon tank, for example), then they should be in a bigger tank.
  • Information