Respiratory infection?

Discussions about turtles.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

My friend and i were wondering if respiratory infections are contagious among turtles? We like to put our turtles in a pool together in spring and summer so they can absorb the natural sunlight and socialize. The earliest she can take her RES to the vet is about a month and we think her turtle has a respiratory infection because it is swimming in a way that she leans to the left.
Any replys would be appreciated :>
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

DO NOT put them together! It is very contagious and we always recommend removing tank mates when one has an infection. I recommend she change her tank every other day in the mean time and be sure the water temp is up to 82-85 degrees to help its immunity. Mine leaned too and I took it in and it got a series of 5 shots every other day. The day it got a shot I changed the tank. Dont put yours in jeopardy by sharing the tank. Turtles should always quarantine for 30 days to be sure they are both ok before putting together. Hope her turtle gets well soon! :0
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

Thank you for replying. I am the one with the sick turtle ( well I think she is sick) See I took her to the vet a few months ago becasue she had an eye infection and he gave her three shots every other day. At that time she was swimming sideways and I brought this matter to his attention but he told me that the problem was only her eye. She wasn\'t eating her fish which I was told contained vitamin A, well he said she wasn\'t getting enough of this vitamin so she developed an infection. At the time I didn\'t know any better and thought that he was correct because he was the vet and he knows what he is talking about but now I realize even they do not know everything at first glance. I am not saying that this was his fault but I do beilve that he should have checked her out more closely. When she continued to swim this way I thought that she was blind but I have come to the donclusion that she is not and could possibly have this infection. So I am now saving the money to get the x-rays that she will need and for the visit. We were not sure if it was contagious or not and wanted to make sure. Thanks again = )
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, thank you very much for replying to my post because i did not want to put my lil guy in danger soo i wanted to make sure way in advance so that if the illness was contagious i could take the proper precautions needed to prevent my eastern painted(squirt) from getting the infection. Thanks again
:>
Squirt and i appreciate it
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

You\'re welcome and good luck. Let us know how it does.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Well keep ya posted
Thanx again:)
  • Information