New turtle owner!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
keya

Fred was found at a local lake near town...he has been in our lives for the past 5 years...my brother wanted to put him back but I didn\'t think that he would survive since he was so little when he was taken from his home...Could he survive if he was released back into the wild?? And is he still considered a \"baby\"? Do turtles shed a clear layer of their shells? He is the cutest little guy and I really want to be a good \"parent\"!
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

:> Good Luck
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

DO NOT release it back into the wild. It will not survive. It has been in captivity too long. If you must get rid of it you need to find a rescue, local zoo or put it in the paper, but be sure the new owners know how to be responsible in caring for it and give them resources to do so. The turtle usually becomes sexually mature at about 5 inches or approx. 5 years. So your\'s is an adult and if you look at the bottom of the shell you might be able to tell if it is male or female. If the shell is concave (dents inward) it is a male. If it is convex (curves outward) it is a female. Good luck and please be responsible.
keya

Thanks for the info! I took Fred in because I didn\'t want anything bad to happen to him. My husband jokes that I treat the turtle better then him!!:) This is a wonderful site and has been very helpful!
  • Information