MY DAD WON\'T LET ME GET A TURTLE!?

Discussions about turtles.
Kyla77
Level 2
Level 2

HELP, MY DAD PROBABLY WON\'T LET ME GET A TURTLE, DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO GET MY DAD TO GIVE IN????
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Try being really nice to him and tell him it\'ll teach you responsibilities.
:> T
Kyla77
Level 2
Level 2

Okay, I\'ll try but I\'m not sure it\'ll work!
cajohnson
Level 2
Level 2

how old are you? do you have other pets? have you taken care of them? if so tell him that you take care of things. are you going to help pay for anything? maybe he thinks you wont clean it and he will have to argue with you and pay for food etc. you need to prove to him you are responsible, start with just little stuff around the house, take out the trash regularly for a month, make sure your room is cleaned up. Prove to him you can handle it. That way you have something to come back at him with. lol
Kyla77
Level 2
Level 2

Okay I\'ll try but I live on a farm so I can\'t take out the trash, but I\'ll try liltle things
Kyla77
Level 2
Level 2

PLEASE I REALLY WANT A TURTLES...PLEASE HELP
ANY OTHER IDEAS?
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

Getting a turtle is a HUGE responsibility.. especially if it\'s a baby. They need to be feed every day. If you\'re getting a turtle you\'ll need to get all the supplies with it.
- food
- a tank large enough to hold the turtle in (10 gal. for every turtle inch)
- good filter
- UVB lamp
- heat lamp
- submersible water heater

I don\'t know if we can help with getting your dad to give in. Turtles are great pets to have. They don\'t make noise. They are fun to watch and play with. They don\'t require lots of attention (but you\'ll end up giving it to them anyway because they\'re just so damned cute) but they do needs lots of care. good luck.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

chanman is correct! Be sure first it is something you can afford. They ARE NOT CHEAP. I bought mine for $6.00 and spent about 100.00 just to get it set up first. I just had to go to a larger tank (they should have 10 gal per inch of shell) and then it got sick and I had to take it to the vet, inital charge was 30.00 then 5.00 a shot (times 5 shots) so a total of 55.00. The tank should be cleaned about every 1-2 weeks, which takes me about 1-1 1/2 hours to do. They are fun to watch and very relaxing, but you need to think of the turtle first and be sure you know you can give it a good home. Also you need to think about if you vacation a lot and who would care for it when you are gone. They are a big responsibility, not like fish, they live 30-50 years and really mean a commitment! Be sure to maturly and responsibly think this through before bringing your case to your father again. If you really think it is for you, then ask how you can prove you are responsible enough to have one. I have seen those whose parents wont spend the money to take the turtle to the vet if it needs it so be sure it will be cared for properly first. Good luck! ;)
Kyla77
Level 2
Level 2

Okay thanx u guys. I know how to properly care for a animal, as my family has 6 horses and 3 cats, and I used to have a dog (buddy) but he died. Anywayz I know how to take care of a animal, but I kinda have a problem doing it. Like I don\'t go out to the barn much, (but sometimes I have homework) So I think I will start off by going to see my cat every day I can, I will also help around the house. I have a question where can I buy a turtle, I can\'t buy one at pet cetera because they don\'t have them, I live in Canada
Kyla77
Level 2
Level 2

Okay thanx u guys. I know how to properly care for a animal, as my family has 6 horses and 3 cats, and I used to have a dog (buddy) but he died. Anywayz I know how to take care of a animal, but I kinda have a problem doing it. Like I don\'t go out to the barn much, (but sometimes I have homework) So I think I will start off by going to see my cat every day I can, I will also help around the house. I have a question where can I buy a turtle, I can\'t buy one at pet cetera because they don\'t have them, I live in Canada

Kyla77
Kyla*:P
Kyla77
Level 2
Level 2

come on guys

Kyla77
Kyla*:)
Kyla77
Level 2
Level 2

PLEASE HELP ME HERE PPL!
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

What do you want help with your dad said \"NO\".How old are you anyway? Turtles are a lot of work.
Kyla77
Level 2
Level 2

LOOK I AM 11 YEARS OLD I KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF ANIMALS JUST TELL ME THINGS THAT COULD HELP MY DAD CHANGE HIS MIND!!!!!!!!

Kyla77
Kyla*:)*
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

:eyes
Last edited by Tinkerbell on Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Even if you know how to care for animals, they are a big responsibility and take a great deal of time and MONEY!!!! I paid 6.00 for my turtle and within the week I had spent about 150.00 more and that didnt include when it got sick. My son is 12 and quite responsible, but I would not give the job to him. These are not gold fish that last only a short time. They live 30-50 years and are a lifetime commitment. Ultimately there isnt anything to say that would change your father\'s mind nor would I try to. You need to find out what his reasons are for you NOT having the pet and then do your best to prove him wrong, and not just for a week or two. This may take some time. So if you truly want a turtle, I recommend showing him in the long run. They arent an animal you get on a whim and then get rid of it you later change your mind. Kids change their minds a lot, so I feel if you were really wanting one and felt you could do it, no matter how long it took to prove it to your father, you would do what it took to gain his approval by proving you can. Good luck!
Kyla77
Level 2
Level 2

THANX EVERY ONE!!!!!!!! I WILL TRY ALL THE THINGS YOU GUYS SAID AS shelngav said

Even if you know how to care for animals, they are a big responsibility and take a great deal of time and MONEY!!!! I paid 6.00 for my turtle and within the week I had spent about 150.00 more and that didnt include when it got sick. My son is 12 and quite responsible, but I would not give the job to him. These are not gold fish that last only a short time. They live 30-50 years and are a lifetime commitment. Ultimately there isnt anything to say that would change your father\'s mind nor would I try to. You need to find out what his reasons are for you NOT having the pet and then do your best to prove him wrong, and not just for a week or two. This may take some time. So if you truly want a turtle, I recommend showing him in the long run. They arent an animal you get on a whim and then get rid of it you later change your mind. Kids change their minds a lot, so I feel if you were really wanting one and felt you could do it, no matter how long it took to prove it to your father, you would do what it took to gain his approval by proving you can. Good luck!

so uhh ya thanx to yall!

Kyla77
Kyla*:)*

P.S. HOW DO YOU GET A FACE OTHER THAN THE SMILY?
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

You say that you are responsible, but the responsible thing to do is to stop pressuring your dad. He said no, you more then likely won\'t get anywhere buy bugging him. If I were you I would wait a few months or even a year before I brought up the topic again. Leaving him alone could be the best thing at this point because he is probably a little annoyed. You have been asking what type of turtle to get. I recommend a box turtle over a red ear slider, I have a res and it is a lot more work than a box turtle which I have had in the past, but it is your choice when you are able to get one. Good luck
brunette6703
Level 1
Level 1

I know this is a pretty old post but ask your parents if there is a pet they would rather have than a turtle. A while ago I wanted a hamster REALLY bad, but my mom continually said no. A few months ago asked her about a turtle and she maybe and eventually said yes. Just check w/ your parents and see what they say. Try to be mature when they answer you and don\'t throw a fit.Good Luck!
~~~LAYLA~~~
Level 3
Level 3

kyla77:LOOK I AM 11 YEARS OLD I KNOW HOW TO TAKE CARE OF ANIMALS JUST TELL ME THINGS THAT COULD HELP MY DAD CHANGE HIS MIND!!!!!!!!

^^do you usually act like that to ppl u tryna get help from? cuz maybe ur attitude is y he says no.............:)?
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,
I\'m not going to try to dis your age...but here\'s what i\'m thinking of this whole situation.
I would never give a turtle to any child. It\'s WAY too much responsibility...even if I realized how much it was going to be..I might have waited a few years before I decided to get them.
They may seem like something that would be fun, exciting, different and you\'ve always wanted one. I was like that when I was younger too (and I even have my nieces loving them but I\'ve discussed them not having them until they are older)...
The cost alone gets to be quite immense pretty fast and if your not prepared for it...well, your screwed.
Your dad might just not went to get put into this situation ...and have to care for it JUST in case you don\'t...that\'s always the first possibility with children...
Are you prepared to clean a 50 gallon or larger size aquarium quite frequently?? This is an all day job for two ppl....they aren\'t clean animals.
Let alone, if they get sick,...that\'s a huge vet bill...and not all vets will know or want to care for this type of animal.
Even if you do get your turtle , ...one day your prolly going to go to college and want it to come along...
not all apartments will allow this kind of pet let alone the dorm rooms...your pet might once again be stuck with your father.
Even the transportation of these animals can be quite stressful...and moving all that equipment and setting up is very tiring (I\'ve moved twice since I\'ve gotten them and never ever again will I get another pet until I\'m really really settled down in one place for a long period of time).
I hope you take into consideration everything that will come with your pet...and if your really ready for it and prepared...hope you get one because they are marvelous pets!
Good luck.
  • Information