floating basking area

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
carlamae

I was at petco today getting supplies to set up a home for our turtles and I saw a basking area that appears to float on the water. Would this be difficult for the turtles to get on? They are about an inch and a half long. How deep is too deep as far as the water goes? Does anyone have one of these floating basking things? I was going to do a two-thirds water and one-third rock basking area in the tank.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Carla
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

the floating basking areas are a good idea, but i just find it\'s easier for them to get up if there is a slope. we have a 55 gallon tank which is filled right to the top and built attachments out of fiberglass to bring their basking area up higher. This way they get plenty of swimming room.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I have an eastern painted turtle and he did not like his floating island i bought him but i guess it depends on the turtle because my friend has a RES and she liked the floating basking platform. I guess it just a preference.
:> T
Connie

I am a new owner (or rather, my son is...lol) and we got our red ear slider at the mall during Christmas. He came with an oasis which had no pump, filter or anything. The lady who sold him to us said he was fine with that set up. I recently bought him a 10 gallon aquarium. After finding this tank, I am thinking maybe I should have gotten him a larger one! I only have 1 turtle, though. He is a baby too. He\'s only the size of a quarter. He loves the aquarium. I turned a huge vase upside down to make him a basking area (gotta be creative!) I guess I should go to Petco to get him some plants and a real basking area, huh?
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Connie wrote:
I am a new owner (or rather, my son is...lol) and we got our red ear slider at the mall during Christmas. He came with an oasis which had no pump, filter or anything. The lady who sold him to us said he was fine with that set up. I recently bought him a 10 gallon aquarium. After finding this tank, I am thinking maybe I should have gotten him a larger one! I only have 1 turtle, though. He is a baby too. He\'s only the size of a quarter. He loves the aquarium. I turned a huge vase upside down to make him a basking area (gotta be creative!) I guess I should go to Petco to get him some plants and a real basking area, huh?
Glad to see you got rid of what is traditionally known as the \"death bowl\"! Sounds like you are on the right track. Mine came in something similar. Fortunately they told me nothing so I wasnt misguided. I just went home and put red eared slider in google and started researching. I found this site that way. If you need to be sure you have all the right stuff just go above and click on the links for turtle newbies, care sheets, and set-up/supplies to get off to the right start. Good luck and thanks for joining us!
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

Hi I can reccomend a few palnts for red ear sliders. They like Amazon swords, water hyacinths nad anarchis. Unfortunatly they may not touch these until their later years. When they are babies they mainly eat meat like fedder guppies but they also eat baby turtle pellets. My red ear slider love to baks on her plastic log. My friends\' turtle love to bask on his rock cave. Both are very good for basking it is really your choice good luck and have fun with the little one. Eventually you are going to need to invest in a larger tank. I had my baby for a few months now, I got her in july she was in a ten gallon tank now I had to move her up to a thirty gallon tank they grow fairly fast so be on the look out for a good tank sale lol = )
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

If you can stand the expense, real plants are great as they can eat these. Mine loves anachris, which it has eaten since I got it (size about a 50 cent piece) This can be expensive however if the turtle likes the plants enough. It is always good though to keep some vegetation for nibbling in the tank for their voracious appetites.
smdturts
Level 1
Level 1

I have a floating basking platform for my turtles. It mounts to the side of the tank with suction cups and rises and falls with the height of the water.
I found with stationary platforms, I was having to add water every day as it evaporated and the platform became inaccessable.
lilblackgirl

I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Zoomed Floating Turtle Dock? My sister just called and told me that they bought one this weekend and her turtles love it. it suctions to the wall and floats on top of the water via a couple of bars attached to the suction cups. i\'m currently just using a rock sitting on a plastic container that\'s anchored to the bottom. I\'d be interested in finding out how Zoomed\'s product is and how durable it is.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I had bought the zoo med platform for my turtle at first but he hated it he would not bask on it at all i even made it easier for him by making stairs out of rocks and positioning the platform in a way that part of it was in the water and he still didnt want any part of it:( So i bought him a stone cave that he loves:)
Good luck
smdturts
Level 1
Level 1

I have the Zoo Med floating dock that suctions to the side of the tank. My turtles love it. They don\'t even bother to use the ramp some of the time, they just climb up over the side. The only problem I\'ve had is that it is starting to crumble around the holes that hold the bracket. I may have to repair it with some washers if possible.
  • Information