RES Hatchlings?

Discussions about turtles.
Kazuko

My friend, who owns a pet store, is giving me two extremely small and healthy hatchlings. The problem is I have no idea how to take care of them even though I\'ve already done some research. I have a large terrarium I once used for three adult bearded dragons, but I don\'t think I can use those for the turtles because of the large air vents/holes at the side of the tank.

What gallon aquarium tank should I start off with for the two hatchlings? Money or space isn\'t a problem so i\'m not limited to suggestions.
MishFish
Level 3
Level 3

You could start with a simple 10 gallon tank.....and with something that they can crawl out of..make sure it\'s not too difficult.
You don\'t have to worry about space right yet til....maybe a year, depends on how fast they grow.
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

I read somewhere that turtles like to dig so don\'t worry about it. Also.. watch out that don\'t eat the rocks. It\'ll wreak havoc on their intestines.
Last edited by chanman on Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

Turtles sometimes can be territorial. I have a thirty gallon tank for my one baby red ear slider, for two I would reccomen a fifty because they will need a basking sopt perhaps even two. They grow fairly fast so you are really going to need the space although it may not look like it now = ) You are going to need a heat lamp/basking lamp for the turtle to bask. What kind of turtles are they? If they are read ear sliders then the water should be at about 80-85 degrees these turtles are from warmed climates and are used to the temps. You may need to get a fully submersable heater. If it is an eastern painted turtle then they need to be kept around 75-80 degrees. Baby turtles are mainly meat eaters my turtle loves to eat guppies and rosy reds. The rosy reds are larger then the guppies so you may want to start them off on those. They also eat baby reptomin pellets, these have calcium in them that is a neccecary ellimant for a healthy turtle. I was told that guppies provide vitamin A which is aslo a major thing these little ones need. Now some say that fish are high in paraisites but I still feed them to mine after all they do eat them in the wild = ). I would avoid plastic palnts and gravel. There are many turtles who have never eaten these objects when they were palce in their tanks, others wern\'t so lucky. If you want to make the tank look natural I suggest Amazon swords ( my turtle loves these)water hyacinths or anarchis these water palnts can be found in most pet stores. I also suggest smooth river rocks for the bottom of the tank. A good basking platform is either a rock cave or a plastic stump sold for aquarium purposes. A good filter is a fluval but this is really up to you just make sure the filter is for turtles. For other ideas on tank setups I am sure you can look on line for pictures, it is amazing how other people have set up their tanks . Just remember to keep your turtles out of drafty areas, this can help prevent them from catching a cold. Good luck with your turtles. I do have one major suggestion look for a herp vet near you as soon as possible, you want to be sure you know of one just in case problems should arise, they are not the easiest vets to locate. Have fun with your new pets hope I was of some help. Let me know if I helped any = )
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Go to the links above and check out the setup page, newbie page and care sheets. It will give you most of what you need to know. Other than that you can type red eared slider into a search engine like google, which is what I did and how I found all turtles. Then read all you can and weigh out what everyone says making an informed decision. Good luck!
  • Information