New Turtles -Not sure if water or land turtle

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
jeanie

Hello, I just got 2 new turtles. I don\'t know if they are land or water. They are very small (babies), with a red mark at the side of the head (does this mean they are water turtles - red sliders? )

The other problem I have is that they have not eaten in 2 days. I tried romaine lettuce, smlal pieces of apple and the traditional pellet food. Please help.
Thanks.
angel204

By the description you left it most likely is a Red eared slider. I have one the same size. When you feed it do you feed it in water cause they have to be in water to eat anything at all.
jeanie

angel204 wrote:
By the description you left it most likely is a Red eared slider. I have one the same size. When you feed it do you feed it in water cause they have to be in water to eat anything at all.
Yes, I do feed it in water. I put the small tiny pieces of apple and small peices of romaine lettuce with the 3 pellets in the water dish which they can get into.

Also they like to dig in the gravel and bury their heads! Do your\'s do this? Thanks!
chanman
Level 2
Level 2

turtles may take a few days to adjust to their new environment. give them some time, they will start eating.
I have red eared sliders also and they wouldn\'t touch fruit at all until they were around 4 months old. they\'ve just started eating grapes now.

i\'ve never seen mine bury their heads. maybe it is too bright in the tank? is there anywhere they can go for shade? maybe a plastic plant?
watch out for the gravel though. make sure they aren\'t small enough for them to eat or else it will cause havoc on their intestines.
deesygirl

What type of setup do you have? I guess I am a little confused on the water bowl. :) You should have a tank setup with a large water area as well as a dry basking spot. Check the setup button at the top of this page. There is some good ideas on a basic setup there. You can also check out the message board on indoor tanks. Some people have even put picture links so you can get a better idea.
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

I have a baby red ear slider as well. The red or red orange markings usually indicates that it is a red ear slider you might want to look for pictures. These types of babies usually like to eat meat such as feeder guppies, these small types of fish provide them with a good source of vitamin A. A good set up for these would be a basking spot with a heat/basking lamp for them a uvb light is very good for them as well. What size tank do you have for these two babies? I would suggest a fifty gallon tank for them because they do grow fast and can become very territorial, but this can be avoid if they are provided with sufficent space. I would stay clear of fake plants and gravel. Some tyrtles have eaten these items when they were palced in their homes. I reccomened Amazon swords, water hyacinths and anarchis for the water palnts and smooth river stones for the bottom of the tank. Stones at the bottom give the turtles the feeling of hunting like in the wild. Live brine shrimp are good for a snack or you can bye the bottle of dried brine shrimp which can be found in most pet stores. Water temperature plays a major part in the eating habits of hese turtles. The water for a red ear slider should be around 80-85 degrees, and there should be no drafts around them drafts can cause them to become seriously ill. To monitor the temp you can but a stick on thermometer, two is really a good idea one for both ends of the tank, one area should be little cooler for the turtle. Your turtle should also have a shady spot so he/she can get relief from the \"sun\". The ideal length for keeping your heat lamp on is 12 hours on and 12 off. Red heat lamps give off more heat then the others but you might want to read up on all of the lights availible. You are going to need a turtle filter unless you enjoy cleaning the tank every day = ) A good filter is a FLUVAL, I have a fluval 2plus which is good for my tank size you might have to research for the perfect tank for you, just make sure it is for turtles. I had to teach my turtle to swim. Yes the are aquatic turtles and one would assume they are equipted with the ability to swim in large bodies of water but most are not. I reccomened you start out with about and inch or two and work your way up from there I hope I was of some help to you. Good luck with your little ones and have fun
  • Information