new tank mate

Discussions about turtles.
Tucker Turtle

I have a RES that is over 14yrs and has been in a tank by himself for that time and longer. We have a chance to get a smaller-baby RES-can baby and ol\' timer be put together? E
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I wouldn\'t put a baby turtle in with him because turtles tend to fight for their own territory and if he does attack the young turtle he could injure it really bad or worse kill it. Then you will have a bigger issue to deal with such as the vet.
Tucker Turtle

Thanks Tinkerbell for your advice. We received the new turtle before any replies came. We did put the new turtle-smaller but not a hachling-in with Tucker. I nervously stood by ready to intervene. Not to worry. Tucker really enjoyed checking out the new turtle and they are getting along famously. Tucker has even taught her(we believe it is a she) how to beg. She is a fast learner about mealtimes. E
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

Im glad to hear tucker and your smaller turtle are getting along. Good Luck:>
Lilypad
Level 3
Level 3

Aww that sounds cute. I wanted to get a second turtle to put into the tank with my baby one but I was also worried about doing this because I have heard from friends and from reading that they sometimes fight. I wish you the best of luck with the new friends. You have given me a little hope on this subject. = )
  • Information