Help

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
MelP

I recently acquired a turtle from my daughter\'s classroom she had taken our salamander in for show and tell and her teacher\'s aid had a turtle she was trying to find a home for and asked if we would take her. We already had a home set up for the salamander and thought the turtle would be a good companion. But, when we were fixing the habit my daughter\'s cat found the turtle. When I found her she was on the floor and at first didn\'t think anything was wrong, then, She started bleeding. I looked on the first aid page on this site and took it\'s advice for bite wounds I have been cleaning it regularly and keeping it dry and keeping her in a cool place. today when I went to clean her wounds, her eye is now swollen shut. I don\'t believe she has had any damage to her eye because she was fine the last two days. I am concerned about her and as a new owner I\'m not sure what to do. I also not sure how to seal her shell back any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

Your best bet at this point is to find a good herp vet and have it checked out. I dont have the link that Mariza uses to refer people to to check if there is one in your area, but the one I found here wasnt listed in that link. Go to the phone book and see if you can find a vet that sees reptiles and call. It may have an infection and if the shell is damaged, it should be looked at.
Tinkerbell
Level 3
Level 3

I would get my turtle to the vet as soon as possible because obviously it took a bad beating from the cat. Here is a list in which you can locate a herp vet in your area:
http://www.arav.org/USMembers.htm
Good Luck:)
  • Information